View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Thursday, August 10, 2006

For JoJo - Battle



JoJo wondered why Battle is called Battle and not Hastings.

Well, there is a town called Hastings already, just outside which lies Senlac Hill, where the Battle of Hastings took place. I suppose you could say the town of Battle was created to commemorate the battle.

Battle Abbey was built with the hope that the loser, King Harold, would be buried in the churchyard, but I believe he was moved (probably a political move by William).

Of course, I could have found out more if we's been able to park and take a look.

1 comment:

JoJo said...

Thanks for the info! You live in such a fantastic country with so much history!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake