View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Monday, December 29, 2008

English Lesson

That's English from England, as opposed to any other variant spoken around the world.

Firstly, "Quiff".
This is probably an age thing. I'm sure that bit of hair sticking out in front on male teddy boys/rock-and-rollers in the 1950s and early 1960s was well known on both sides of the Atlantic.

Then, "Brass Monkeys".
This is an abbreviation of "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey", referring to very cold weather.

Finally, "Knackered".
1. Broken, worn out - eg. My car is 10 years old and it's knackered.
2. Exhausted - eg. I've been on my feet all day and I'm knackered.

The "quiff" is on account of Fenwayspal (innocent young thing) asking what a quiff is.

The rest is to describe my day. I went to the Zoo. It was very sunny, but it was brass monkeys, and I had to buy a hat and gloves before I froze. (This is the "me" who wears teeshirts and no coat outdoors almost all the time.) Now I'm absolutely knackered.

Meanwhile, we have reached Albatross.

"I scrabble through the dirt, and Eames just swans off. "
"Er, no I wash not dwinking lass night."
Bobby whistles to cover up the sound of his peeing up a tree.
"No, Eames, your bum doesn't look big in that, honestly (hee,hee,hee)."
Bobby makes eyes at the lady judge in the hope of convicting SWMNBN next time round.

Alex and Bobby watch in disbelief as the Vixens invade the set.
Eames wins the "pull a silly face" contest.
Bobby keeps trying, but just looks kissable.
"Whose idea was the Van Der Graaf generator?
I'll never get my hair to lie flat again."
Bobby treads in something even he finds unpleasant.

11 comments:

JoJo said...

LOL!!!! Another thing you guys say is "pull a face". Over here we say, "made a face." Loved the captions tho' Val, you are outdoing yourself every time! The comment about the Van de Graff generator really cracked me up!

SnarkAngel said...

I still wanna know what drugs you are taking to come up with these fabulous captions! LOL!

Anonymous said...

I see the VDO-Mind-Meld has worked again, this time with you and Tess ;0) Is the plural of 'Albatross' 'Albtrosses' or 'Albatrossii'?!

Being at that 'special' time of my life, I have spent the last 18 months or so with my wayward hormones keeping me warm (in the absence of the lovely Vincent) to the extent I haven't needed my winter-weight quilt. However, I was so cold when I woke up this morning, tonight it's the 13.5 TOG quilt!

Jane said...

Wonderful pictures :) And fabulous captions!

Music Wench said...

LOL Thanks for the English lesson. And I love the captions! :-D

BASRIC said...

I just love your posts. As for the words, never heard of any of the three. Thanks for the education perhaps I'll use them on some unsuspecting American kid and get a "HUH?"

MYM said...

You crazy Brits. But I would like to snog with Bobby ;) I learned that word from Coronation Street.

Unknown said...

VAL!!
thanx for the english lesson and the definition of quiff...

hmmmm, young am i? how about young at heart??

Eliza said...

I think the only English expression I taught anyone was to do with 'Rogering' ( and I bet you can guess who I taught it to LOL)

Like Snarkangel I'd like some of whatever it is you're on when you come up with these wonderful captions :-p

Anonymous said...

Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha...I love his hair in this pics;it is so cute messy!!!And the faces his makes...*gigles*!!!
Anyways Bobby can come to rest next to me;I will cuddle him crazy,and comb his silverish curls!!!;)))

jazzy said...

'Make a face' that's what we say, too. However, Bobby can make what ever he wants... he always looks snog-able.

Great pix!!!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake