View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Wednesday, December 31, 2008

English for Advanced Users

Actually, it's a bit of basic use of Cockney Rhyming Slang.

I thought I'd retell my adventures at the zoo using a few words that used to be common currency in London, but are sadly falling into disuse.

"On Monday, as it was really brass monkeys, my boat got really red. I went to have a butchers at the titfers. I fancied a pint down at the rub-a-dub but I settled for a cup of Rosie."

Need a hand translating?

boat = boat race = face
butchers = butcher's hook = look
titfer = tit-for-tat = hat
rub-a-dub = rub-a-dub-dub = pub
Rosie = Rosie Lee = tea

All clear? Good!

3 comments:

judith said...

my goodness! i thought internet "talk" was bad enough!!everything cut down to just letters!!

JoJo said...

You forgot "Trouble and Strife Wife". hahahahaha Learned that one from "To Sir with Love". ;P

SnarkAngel said...

Thanks for the mini lesson on British slang! Very "colorful!" LOL

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake