View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Tuesday, January 01, 2008

No Wonder!

The ring finger on my right hand is hurting, and it's just occurred to me that having it poised bent over the keyboard and then deploying it to type is giving me some kind of repetitive strain injury, or perhaps an early arthritic condition.

Well, considering I realised last night that I type out posts in my head while lying in bed (or even sleeping) mentally placing my fingers as if touch-typing, I suppose it's inevitable that my digits will get overworked.

Yes, folks, I can touch-type in my sleep. I do so much typing these days that I really can almost do it without looking at the keys. When I was a kid I had a good quality kids' typewriter (a Petite, for those who remember them) and it had a course on placing the fingers on the correct keys, what the home keys were, etc. I never mastered it then, but I'm getting close now.

If I could only manage to stop hitting keys in the wrong order and getting words like "jsut" and things ending in the letters "emnt". (And accidentally posting this halfway through by blundering a finger on to who knows what key that gave the command.)

6 comments:

BobbyG said...

I feel your pain, Val. I've had carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand for years. The results of years and years of typing and doing tons of counted cross stitch projects. I can no longer do the counted cross stitching projects because of the CTS combined with aging eyes...just can't see the patterns anymore.

As for "touch" typing, luckily I took a typing class in high school, so can tip-tap along with the best of 'em. As for typing in my sleep, can't say that I do that although I have been told I both talk and SING in my sleep.

JoJo said...

Back in '94 I had to go on disability for 3 weeks b/c of repetitive strain from typing. Like Bobby G, I do cross stitch and have dealt w/ the pain in my wrists. I feel your pain Val! Ice ice ice, that's the key. Ice and an anti-inflamatory, like advil.

As to the typing mistakes, at work I have all my common mistakes put into the "autocorrect" in WordPerfect, so if I type "teh" it fixes it to "the". Talk about lazy, eh?

Anonymous said...

I had a Petite typewriter many moons ago too and thank god, you mispell some of the same words as I do sometimes - I began to think I was losing even more of the 'plot' than I knew I was! As Eric Morecombe once said 'They're the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order....'

Walking ones fingers over the D'Onofrio body might assist (me first!)

Eliza said...

It's my index finger that pains me..my mouse finger,which sometimes spends so long in the same position it almost has to be forced straight again...I'm sure a kiss from V would make it better though :-)

I'm getting better where typing is concerned,although I still have to look occasionally.Think we all make the same mistakes cos we're so obviously intelligent and our brains work faster than our fingers

SnarkAngel said...

Finger massages . . . by Vincent . . . with those glorious hands of his . . . ohhhhhhhh!!!

Anonymous said...

I have a lot of typing problems, too. Though only Microsoft Word will automatically correct any mistakes, the rest of the time, there's just a red line under the word (like when I just misspelled "automatically").

I have the most problems with o, p, c, v, a, s, and q. Obviously I have not been minding my p's and q's.

The only thing that hurts when I type is my head. I get really horrible headaches from staring at the screen. Like right now, for instance.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake