View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Technical Solution

When I got home last night and switched on my TV, I tried to play back a programme from my Sky+ box. The picture was fine, but the sound was in about 100x slow motion, making it just a deep roar between long silences. Live TV was the same. So were the depressingly cheerful Christmas tunes on the TV guide section. I panicked and phoned the technical support helpline.

The young man (not in India, surely? That NEVER happens...) didn't know what was wrong, and was going to transfer me to comeone else, but then admitted that most of the computers were down. "Phone back in 3 hours"!!!!!! AFTER Bobby's been on? I was disgusted. I was horrified. I WAS BESIDE MYSELF!

I resorted to the advanced technical solution that used to work for the cable TV box. I unplugged it for 30 seconds. I plugged it back in, then after a further minute I switched the box on. It was fine.

Can I have a highly paid job advising the disgruntled Sky customers who get short shrift from the official helpline, please?

9 comments:

SnarkAngel said...

Congrats, Val! You . . . and Bobby . . . survived another techno-crisis! TOGETHER! I, too, often find that my own trial and error attempts work more efficiently than so-called "technical support." And I am, admittedly, about as techno-challenged as my dear brother, Gunga Dean. And that ain't pretty.

Claire said...

That cure is just like a jammed up computer cure. Works more often than not.

BobbyG said...

Good job, Val, and quick thinking. It's like at work when my computer acts up...the IT guy is always telling me to reboot. Nine times out of ten, that fixes the problem. Eventually, I will remember to try that before I nag him.,

JoJo said...

Good thinking Val! I've found when things don't work, a good wack on the side usually sets things right as well!

Anonymous said...

I think you should send Sky a bill for your 'consultant fee'.

By the way, did you notice Vincent is on twice today (Sunday)? The Break Up (blink and you miss him) and 'Thumbsucker' (wonderful idea)

Anonymous said...

Bobby's Girl here. Way to go Val! Thanks for the pics. And a very Merry Christmas to you.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wish I lived in a time where the only technology was the wheel.

Somehow the tech stuff always breaks down when the tech center is closed.

Eliza said...

I subscribe to your way of doing things..turn it off,then turn it on..works more often than not..otherwise a lot of swearing and pulling out of hair,before resorting to the tech helpline..and the annoying thing is that half the time they tell me to do things I should have been able to work out on my own..Sods law and all that :-)

Gunga Dean said...

I guess I'm not alone with technical problems.

But I'll bet his english was impeccable. Thats always my experience. Crisp, clear, soothing speech advising that they can provide absolutely no help whatsoever.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake