View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Thursday, May 24, 2007

Trafalgar Square

To highlight the fact that many of London's villages are fighting for their individuality, some bright spark has had the idea of turfing over Trafalgar Square. For those of you to whom this is a name only, Trafalgar Square was formed in memory of Admiral Lord Nelson's victory over the French in the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. Nelson's Column stands in the Square, flanked by lions modelled by Landseer, and there are fountains. On one side of the Square stands the porticoed facade of The National Gallery. I think I might need to go and see this before they take it up in a day or two - if I can fit it into my schedule!


Seems to me this is an Artist's Impression.

London is pretty-well made up of villages, at least the outskirts are. I live on the edge of a surviving one, called Ladywell. It's not exclusive enough to get any attention like Hampstead or Barnes, but it's mine and I love it.

While looking (fairly unsuccessfully) for pictures of the above spectacle, I came across this picture of a two-toed sloth at London Zoo. I hunted high and low for a sighting of this cute creature last time I was there, without success.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is Trafalgar Square really to be turfed over? I find this incredible that anyone would even think of such a sacrilege. I feel strongly opposed to this vandalism against an historic monument/event as I actually teach the Napoleonic Wars. I am staggered.

JoJo said...

That would be really weird if it was turfed over permanently. Has it been done yet for real? I wonder why they did it? As a Brit, how would you feel if they left it turfed permanently?

Anonymous said...

How long before someone rips up the turf and hauls it off home to refurbish their lawn? Good thing it's not April 1st or I would have thought this was a joke!!!

Eliza said...

OK,guess I'm in the minority here,but I love the idea of Trafalgar Square being turned into an enormous village green,however short lived it may be.Must be something to do with growing up in a small village,and remembering the fetes :-)

Anonymous said...

Trafalgar Square is a part of our cultural heritage. I don't want to get too 'deep' here, but the Battle of Trafalgar was a major event in history, and not just for Britain, as this was the beginning of the end of Napoleon's dictatorship in Europe.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake