View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Friday, March 16, 2007

"Free" Medical Treatment

JoJo wondered about medical/dental charges in the UK, thinking they were free. Not any more, not for most of use. At least, not all of them.

Medical treatment remains free. I can go to the doctor or the hospital and not incur any charges. If I need a prescription I have to pay (not sure of the exact amout, but around £6.75 per item). If I were under 18, on benefits, or of pensionable age, they would be free. In fact, for such people, everything is free. But there are some things that, if you want more than the basics, you have to pay extra for.

I pay for eye examinations, and I buy good glasses with quality lenses. I pay for dental examinations, and for treatment, though the prices are not extortionate. But when it comes to things like crowns, as with glasses, you pay more for better quality items. I could have bought a National Health Service porcelain crown for £180. There were various grades up to the best at £350, which of course I paid, as it was the first molar from the front.

On the otherhand, when I had my hip replacement, absolutely everything was free, from first x-ray, through the hospital stay and operation, to the drugs I needed post-surgery to home nurse visits to change dressings, to physiotherapy, right up to the insert they put in my shoes to rectify my leg length discrepancy. (only 2 pairs a year, though, and I'm told they pay £100 pair to the company that does it).

Of course, I pay for all this through my taxes, but it seems to me that it's worth every penny.

As long as you don't get MRSA...

3 comments:

JoJo said...

Thanks for clarifying! I didn't know you had a hip replacement though; you are so young!

We have health & dental insurance but part of the cost comes out of Brian's pay (it's not that much, about $40 a month for both of us). We have a $300 deductible each for the year, also not too bad, and after that we pay a small portion of the bills 20% I think. Prescriptions are not covered under $20, and after that it's on a tier - $20, $30 or $40.

Dental is covered about 80% and we pick up the 20%. Still, it's better than paying full price.

ann said...

I'm just renewing my private medical insurance... costa lota... eeeeek

But I find my dental costs extortionate... I say my dentist holidays well off me and my mouth is the most valuable part of my body

As for prescriptions I take out a pre-paid certificate for just under £100 per annum as I'm supposed to take loadsa stuff when I remember

All in all, this country isn't bad compared to what I hear of medical expenses in the States.

Eliza said...

You forgot to add that finding a dentist that will actually treat an NHS patient is difficult..

There are only a few in Oxford,and in Kidlington itself none at all,even though we have 2 dental surgeries.I travel for over an hour to my dentist,which sucks!!!

Little rant there,sorry..apart from that the NHS is wonderful,especially as I've needed various medications for a long time

Eliza xxxx

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake