View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Monday, March 22, 2010

Suicidal

Last night, as I was getting the cats' supper ready just before going to bed, the catflap banged. I was still waiting for Dandy and Beano to come in, so I didn't pay much attention.

It wasn't until I saw a small furry rodent run past my foot that I realised that the new arrival had brought his own supper with him. Then released it.

The poor creature ran around looking for somewhere to escape. Mitzi and Twiglet joined in the hunt, and poor little mousey ended up in each mouth in turn. I assumed it had breathed its last, but then Twiglet dropped it in the little hallway between the kitchen, the downstairs loo and the back door, and it made another bid for freedom. I shut Twiggy in the kitchen, then set about trying to catch the little thing and put it outside. It eluded capture (I'm no match for a hunting cat or a hunted mouse) and when I opened the back door, it hopped over the sill and into the conservatory.

I've been aware for some time that mice were finding their way into the conservatory via the drain, but can't find a solution. They love to invade the bird feeding cupboard and chew through the wrappers. But the cats know this. Surely the mice must be suicidal to come anywhere near my house? I often find decapitated remains.

Well, this little escapologist will live to breed another day, so I imagine its offspring will inherit its capacity to outwit feline and human alike.

And let's face it, with competition like this, how can they lose:


Mitzi in laidback mood.


Dandy the Drowsy.

11 comments:

fuzzytweetie said...

Mice, spiders and snakes die swiftly and violently around me. YUCK!

Me and my dog, Buddy, are the "mousers" in the family.

mauigirl said...

Hahahahaha, great story Val. Your kitties are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Last week my poor soon had one run over his headboard and across his arm just as he settled in for the night. Poor mouse I'm afraid, met his maker, when my son took a swing at him with his hockeystick. Ewwww.

Unknown said...

Your cats are so cute! I'd like to hug them :o)

JoJo said...

Poor widdle mousey! Great story though! Your kitties are so cute.

SnarkAngel said...

When I lived in a condo on the ground floor (at grade), I would get a mouse in the house once in a while. But at that time, I had two cats, Wilbur and Miss Bill (both now deceased, cremated and sitting in urns on my dresser), and the poor mice never stood a chance. I, too, often found "remains" in the house. Ick. But at least the cats never put any of them in my bed, thank goodness. Although I'm sure they thought about it. Hee.

Eliza said...

Thankfully mine haven't brought any inside for a while..but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I think maybe the fact that I yell at them a lot when they do bring something in takes the shine off a bit.

Unknown said...

Val, I love your stories from life as much as I love the caps of the D'vine one. You cant beat cats for entertainment. Rosie

bobbybegood1 said...

Heavens to Betsy!!! Rodents, um, let's see -- rabbits, squirrels, mice, rats, beavers, chipmonks, hamsters, moles -- KILL THEM ALL!!! However, chipmonks are so cute, but don't mean I want one.

IMHO, all rodents can march off a cliff to their death, like lemmings. Cheers Val!!

jazzy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jazzy said...

Poor, poor mice! We had a lot when I lived in the countryside, and I buried each and every one (birdies too) that has been killed by my cats. My garden looked like Stephen King's pet cemetery.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake