View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Sunday, December 07, 2008

M.I.A.

I forgot to warn everyone that yesterday I was not going to be able to get on the computer. I went to the Kensington Christmas Dolls House Fair, and my friend came home to supper. By the time she left it was too late, and I was too tired.

In theory Kensington is quite posh, and the High Street used to have two fantastic department stores. The buildings, which are rather nice Art Deco confections, are still there.

This is the Barkers building. It now houses a lot of smaller shops, and a huge Whole Food Market. I spent over £5 on a tiny piece of Red Rogue River cheese, all the way from Oregon (lord, the air miles!) and it isn't even particularly nice.

Next door is the Derry and Toms building. In the 60s it housed Biba, the famous fashion store. Now it has an assortment of occupants, including Marks and Spencer.

It is also the home of one of the most extraordinary places in London - The Roof Gardens.
Now they are owned by Richard Branson, and you can eat in the restaurants up there or book a function.
But it is a Grade II listed building, and it is open to the ordinary public when it's not being used for a wedding or other private "do". I've never yet managed to time it right.




Roof Gardens photos by Jamie Barras.

5 comments:

Music Wench said...

Lovely photos! Thanks for sharing them.

Glad you had a nice Saturday. :-)

Jane said...

Palm Trees in England? It's lovely...It looks like Arizona.

SnarkAngel said...

You spoil us so with your daily VOD "feedings," Val, so glad to know you got a nice break and had such an enjoyable day!

JoJo said...

Beautiful photos! But you didn't like the cheese from Oregon? :(

jazzy said...

God, I really wish I could LIVE in Marks and Spencer! All those shoes and clothings and shoes and clothings and shoes...

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake