View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Howletts Wild Animal Park

As I don't yet have any work for this term, I took advantage of there being hardly any kids about and went down to my favourite zoo for the first time in 2 years. I was gutted to find that Balkash - a Siberian tiger hand-reared to be probably the world's biggest tiger - died over a year ago of old age.

There was a lot of activity among the creatures, though, and I've put it together in a little slideshow for your enjoyment. The tiger keeper was giving his charge feline asthma tablets wrapped in meat through the bars - 50 pills at a time, 'cos they don't come in tiger size doses. There was also a film crew filming the head keeper throwing bags filled with soiled straw from the ocelot cage into the lynx enclosure, where it acted like catnip to a kitty.

4 comments:

Claire said...

I love these photos! Are some of the animals permitted to walk about freely?
The gorilla baby was a cutie!

Anonymous said...

julie...

very nice Val. I haven't been to a zoo in years. great job w/the slide show.

val said...

Claire, the Black and WHite Ruffed Lemurs are in an enclosure called Walking With Lemurs. You are not allowed to touch them, and frankly, after seeing one threaten the keeper who was cutting back the overgrown bamboo in his enclosure, I don't think I'd like to risk it. (Anyway, did that a couple of years ago while my friend kept watch...)

JoJo said...

Awesome photos! I liked the lemur, but the g'rillas creeped me out.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake