View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Thursday, September 06, 2007

Driving My Car

Michael has cast aspersions on my driving, and he cannot go unchallenged. As a further insult to my US readers, he has suggested that driving an automatic is for "beginners". Here is a run-down of the manual (stick shift) cars I've owned and driven since I passed my driving test in 1978.

First there was the Ford Cortina Estate. It had its gearstick on the steering column. I had the same set-up some years down the line with a Renault but couldn't find a picture of one on Google.


I sold the car to my neighbour and bought a Hillman Imp from a colleague. These cute cars were tiny, with a rear engine, but the rear window flipped down and turned them into little estate cars. I loved it, but it never got over being stolen and having the gearbox burnt out by boys doing handbrake turns.

The Renault had to go back to the dealer after a couple of weeks, as a repair to the cylinder head by the previous owner had not been checked and the engine died.

Then my car maintenance tutor wanted me to buy a Morris Marina. My only ever accident involving another vehicle happened not long after, and I broke the car outside my house for spare parts.

I bought my tutor's Ausitn 1800 for a small amount of money, but it really was a big, lumbering bus, so 6 months on I decided to buy my first brand new car.
I opted for a Ford Fiesta, which was a lovely little car. I kept it for years, till I took a job which provided a car, and then I acquired a much larger five-door hatchback. It was a Vauxhall Cavalier. Six months after acquiring it I changed jobs and had to give it back.
So then I bought my second new car, another Ford Fiesta, which I kept for about 12 years. It cost me very little in repairs and was extremely reliable. But it was getting to the stage where it would fail its MoT test (a roadworthiness test taken by all UK cars over 3 years old).

This time I bought a 3-year-old Rover 25. It was a luxury car compared to all the other bog-standard basics I'd had before. I loved it. But the gearbox was dodgy, and when the garage found a problem with the sump, I decided to trade it in. Many years ago, on holiday in France with the father and step-family of Rat Scabies (the drummer of The Damned), I was a backseat passenger when John came out of a town high up in the Massif Central mountain range, and found he needed to change down to first gear. He had an artificial left hand, having played with fireworks as a child, and used to put the car into gear by leaning over and using his right hand. He couldn't do that in motion, so with the clutch depressed, we were rolling backwards down the mountainside out of control, till his wife whacked the car into gear.

I was left with a growing panic when changing gear on hills, and decided to go for an automatic after trying one out in the saleroom (not because I can't drive manuals, Michael, but because I wanted an easier life after nearly 30 years behind the wheel).

That's when I bought my lovely little Nissan Micra, which has just lost its reverse gear and is getting a new gearbox as we speak.

But what I really want is this neat Micra C+C - preferably NOT in this sickly sugary pink!
Thanks to Google for the pictures.

And Michael - when I took car maintenance classes, I drove my tutor's taxicab and his 1951 Humber Super Snipe. Can you beat that or ARE YOU A PRIZE WUSS?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

You tell him Val, lol!

ann said...

I have no hesitation in admitting I don't know the first thing about cars as long as I can get from A to B, much like I know nothing about computers... but I've had some really nice ones over the years, both manual and automatic and what I have now is called i shift, but I drive it automatic and I will never drive a manual again...

I also like air-conditioning and leather upholstery...

.... and I am supposed to get a brand spanking new car every 5-7 years from HWIHTO as part of my divorce settlement because I knew I would never ever be able to afford to buy myself a new car and... he can!!!

Michael, did you know, statistically men have more accidents than women

val said...

Tell all, Pauline. How long has he been driving; how many accidents has he had; does he know his carburettor from his distributer cap?

Anonymous said...

Hey, my first car was a Hillman Imp! I have fond memories of driving it to Manchester where my friend lived, but this meant we hafe to encounter the fearsome 'Ashbourne Hill' which took us out into Derbyshire. I used to have to pull over at the top, and open up the boot (trunk to our US friends) to let the engine cool down before we proceeded on our way. I had it for a couple of years and have to say, it never let me down once (apart from having to stop at the top of steep hills every time in case we exploded!)

JoJo said...

Well I'd like to see how well Michael handles a stick on San Francisco's hills. Talk about rolling backwards. Even in an automatic, you had to have one foot on the brake and the other resting on the gas for when the light turned red b/c you would roll backwards when changing from the brake to the gas. Not to mention being pointed straight up at the sky.

I am an automatic girl mahself and have never learned to drive a stick, although Brian's had sticks b/f. I finally made him get an automatic when he got his last vehicle.

Unknown said...

most of my cars have been stick shifts, and with the winters we have here in the great white north, i never spin out or get stuck. not to mention that it's much better on gas mileage.

and, being the control freak that i am, I say when to shift and how, not some computer built into the transmission.

so, right now, i have an '03 ford focus. but i've been salivating for years over a 1982 red mercedes 450 SL or a 1964 1/2 ford mustang. or a 1957 chevy bel air...hey, this is the motor city, after all.

Michael said...

Oooooooooooo....Val you know I love it when you type hard at me...and calling me names too!

~shudders~ You sexy beast you!

I don't know when, I have no days off between now and when I leave for Greece, but there will be a replying post.

You're so much fun ;)

Unknown said...

I couldn't possibly acquiesce to your request but have you ever seen a Ford Concertina?

val said...

No, but I can imagine one! Thanks Pauline,

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake