View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Inspiration

As so often happens, someone else's post has inspired me to offer you something a bit different. This time it's Cathy's sister Pauline, a newcomer to blogging, whose blog is at dysfuncdiva.blogspot.com.

So in tribute to Pauline's Peas, here are some of Harry Graham's Ruthless Rhymes. They were first published in 1930.

TRAGEDY
That morning, when my wife eloped
With James, our chauffeur, how I moped!
What tragedies in life there are!
I'm dashed if I can start the car!

OBSTINACY
I warned poor Mary of her fate,
But she would wed a plumber's mate!
For hours the choir was forced to sing
While he went back to fetch the ring.

QUITE FUN
My son Augustus, in the street, one day,
Was feeling quite exceptionally merry.
A stranger asked him: "Can you show me, pray,
The quickest way to Brompton Cemetery?"
"The quickest way? You bet I can!" said Gus,
And pushed the fellow underneath a bus.
* * * * * *
Whatever people say about my son,
He does enjoy his little bit of fun.

TENDER-HEARTEDNESS
Billy, in one of his nice new sashes,
Fell in the fire and was burnt to shes;
Now, although the room grows chilly,
I haven't the heart to poke poor Billy

This is my personal favourite.

APPRECIATION
Auntie, did you feel no pain
Falling from that willow tree?
Will you do it, please, again?
Cos my friend here didn't see.



9 comments:

cathy said...

LOL! I remember most of these.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the honourable mention,Val, I too remember many of these

In Ink said...

This is not a comment, it is a retaliatory strike.

'schoolkids' is not a word. School and kids are two words.

You have got nothing to teach me!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!

Florida 2 England 0

Anonymous said...

Fun post Val!

kris said...

val! it let me see you;) i luv these, they remind me of shell silversteins where the sidewalk ends.

val said...

Ha, ha, Michael, you visited a VDO blog again, and what you wrote counts as a comment, since you COULD have posted it on your won blog!

Eliza said...

Thanks Val,for the reminder..my granddad loved these among others,so I grew up with them..still make me smile :-)

In Ink said...

My 'won' blog? This gets easier and easier. And you can't fight a war without going into enemy territory.

JoJo said...

These are so cute!!! I'm a huge fan of "Friends" and these kind of remind of the stuff Phoebe would sing, esp. "Tender heartedness".

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake