View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Wednesday, February 28, 2007

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Those of you who get Google Alerts may have seen this article today, from an Australian paper. I have included a comment from the bottom of the article which, I hope, is on the button, 'cos I don't want to lose him yet!!!!!

Going, going GorenDarren Devlyn

February 28, 2007 09:25am

VINCENT D'Onofrio, who plays, mercurial TV detective Bobby Goren, is hanging up his badge for new challenges as a director.

Vincent D'Onofrio ranks as one of the most intuitive actors of his generation, and his skill has never been on greater display than in Law & Order: Criminal Intent, in which he plays the enigmatic Bobby Goren.

The actor, who has appeared in a string of movies including The Player, Full Metal Jacket and Men in Black, is renowned for using his intense gaze, body language and timbre of his voice to bring texture to his work.

It could be argued his performance as Goren is his role with the greatest veracity.

In an interview from the set of the Channel 10 drama, D'Onofrio tells how he's relentless in his pursuit of a fully-rounded, multi-dimensional performance.

He also reveals he has big ambitions to work as a director and to find feature film roles that fulfil his deepest artistic yearnings.

These are the reasons, he says in shock news, that he's walking away from Criminal Intent.

"I'm at the age where I'm having a pretty good time in life and I want to do some directing now, stay away from acting just a little while," D'Onofrio explains.

"I haven't sorted the actual departure date out yet, but I won't be there (Criminal Intent) much longer.

"You see, I've never seen myself as a leading man. I want to be a character actor. I don't care if a script is for a five-minute role or a major role, I want to approach things simply. If I like the role, I'll play it.

"So I'm not leaving the show because I have some idea that I want to be a star."

The Criminal Intent team, including creator Dick Wolf and leading lady Kathryn Erbe, has been told of D'Onofrio's plans.

D'Onofrio hoses down suggestions that castmates should be worried about their immediate employment prospects.

He is hopeful the show will "go on forever" without him.

"There might be some who find it hard to imagine the show without me, but it should continue because of the level of talent there," D'Onofrio says.

"And what can I say about Kate (Erbe)? We have grown together in this show. TV is unlike any other medium and it can be tough going.

"It's been four years of working constantly. It's like being on a train that never stops. Both of us have been through the ringer with our personal lives and she has become like my sister.

"It feels like we've been through this small, personal war together. She is just the greatest gal and she's a single mum with two kids. I just don't know how she does it all."

D'Onofrio is proof of the dangers of over-exertion.

Two years ago, he was combining movie commitments with Criminal Intent shooting and twice collapsed on the set of the crime drama.

He was rushed to hospital for a battery of medical tests, which showed he was suffering exhaustion.

In an effort to lighten the load on D'Onofrio, Chris Noth was hired to star in alternate episodes of Criminal Intent.

D'Onofrio, 45, says the change in Criminal Intent structure was a blessing, despite the hefty pay cut.

"I just couldn't do it any more and keep the integrity of the show up," D'Onofrio says.

He would have left the show if Wolf had not come up with the novel plan to split the starring role.

When he finishes on Criminal Intent, there's every chance D'Onofrio will take an extended break in Australia.

For four years in the late 1980s and early '90s, he lived in Sydney's Coogee with his then partner, actor Greta Scacchi, and their daughter Layla, 13.

D'Onofrio also has a son Elias, 5, the product of his now-dissolved marriage to Carin van der Donk.

"I'm friends with the mums and I love my kids -- they spend a lot of time with me," he says.

"That has been one of the great things about me reducing my workload on Criminal Intent. I've been able to spend so much more time with my kids."
Television Movies Gig GuideGigs & Events Please select your TV services to begin browsing.

COMMENT
I would like to know WHEN...Darren Devlyn had this interview with Vincent D'Onofrio?? Mr. D'Onofrio and his wife Carin van der Donk are still married! They reconciled... Mr. D'Onofrio is now 47 years old. He's also in his 6th Season with "Law & Order: Criminal Intent". So we're really puzzled by this article... shouldn't you update this information?
Posted by: SPARKLE-4-U of U.S.A. 3:24pm today We welcome your comments on this story. Comments are submitted for possible publication on the condition that they may be edited. Please provide your full name. We also require a working email address - not for publication, but for verification. The location field is optional. Read our publication guidelines.

15 comments:

but that's me said...

Val, i have never comented on your blog before, although I am definitely a VERY regular visitor, and as you can imagine, totally smitten by Vincent since ever. Anyways, I would very much doubt the veracity of this article 'cos...as you said, this is the 6th, not the 4th season, Leila is definitely 16+, not 13, and Elias is definitely 8+, not 5. I don't think we have much reason to worry just yet...and somehow my gut says our Vincent will always hold acting to be at a higher priority than directing...he has said so before, and i still think he does.

mary said...

I agree I think this is either written 2-3 years ago and apparently he changed his mind or its just not true.

Anonymous said...

julie.

wow-yikes. I agree, this article is several years old. hope it isn't true but for this past season, I've had the feeling it was gonna be his last. but who knows? we will have to wait.

JoJo said...

I knew this was coming, but the facts of the article are badly outdated....all we can do is wait and hope!!!

However, IF he is back w/ Carin, and IF he really sold his apartment, then it seems to me those are the markers that he's leaving the show. :(

fezzi said...

hm, that's interesting. it doesn't sound completely true,but we've all seen something like this coming. guess we will have to wait and see what happens. you should send this to the reel and see what she says about it.

Jane said...

It was Vincent's suggestion that they explore Bobby's personal life this season...That tells me he is STILL very invested in the show.

This article doesn't hold any weight with me..

Anonymous said...

OK, I saw the headline, totally panicked (life WITHOUT Bobby - it will happen, but not yet, I hope!) then read it. As other V-gals have pointed out, most of it is at least 2 years out of date and a LOT of it is rehashed bits of other interviews. I clearly remember him saying he loved acting so much he would NEVER give it up for directing. And really, taking my finger off the panic-button, wouldn't NBC be the ones to officially announce he was leaving, IF he was?? Since Season 6 is winding down, would he not also say he was leaving at the end of the season rather than 'there's no actual departure date? My comment at the article was 'did someone dream this??!'

val said...

Someone might have dreamt it, but if it's true, it will be a nightmare!

Anonymous said...

Not to be mean to any Australians that may read this blog, but it seems that sometimes their journalists don't get their facts straight. I remember a couple weeks ago that there was an article about Vincent's death posted online. After that, I kinda don't take everything thats written online at face value.

Anonymous said...

julie...

i concur w/JoJo. as a later thought, i was thinking the same thing.

Linda S. said...

Val,
Haven't been around to visit your blog in a long time but saw this on the google alert this morning and thought I would lend you my two cents worth.

The article was first seen two days ago by the folks at the NBC Program board for LOCI. The moderator there listed many more inconsistencies in the article besides the obvious mistakes in the ages of Vincent and his kids and the length of time the show has been on the air. She also listed the names and dates of previous articles from which some of the quotes were derived. (At least three, to tell the truth.) He's already tried directing and decided it's not for him (Five Minutes Mr. Welles), and the rumored deal to do a series in Australia for TV 10 fell through three years ago.

One of the board regulars is a journalist herself and lives in Australia. She knows the author of the article and is in the process of tracking him down to pin down exactly how much of this article was researched this week, and how much was poorly chosen filler from previous interviews to fill out an otherwise two sentence statement.

While Vincent has said that he's gone from CI when his contract is up, THAT date is still not known. The story arc for the show, as already suggested by Tess, doesn't indicate they can resolve Bobby's issues in the three remaining episodes this season. And as Diane stated, NBC would probably make some kind of statement to the press via their Media Village before a journalist down under breaks that kind of news.

Sorry to be so long winded.
Linda

fezzi said...

thanx linda!!

Anonymous said...

The voice of reason - thanks Linda!

cathy said...

Linda is immpressively genned up.
Thank goodness someone knows what's going on.

Jane said...

Leila will be 15 this month, and yes Elias is 7, but I am afraid that despite the inconsistancies in this article ( making people believe it to be wrong ) Vincent has actually spoken to the man whom wrote it recently and yes he does plan to leave this season (lets brace ourselves for a good send off). The NBC will not announce this to fans so don't hold your breath for that. Vincent hasn't lived in the East Village since 2002.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake