View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Wednesday, December 13, 2006

What is there to see in Catford?

Catford is just up the road from me. It is part of the London Borough of Lewisham, where I live. The name is probably from a ford in the River Ravensbourne where cattle could cross. Many people prefer to think it was named for a colony of cats, hence...


The giant cat over the entrance to the shopping area.



There's a large theatre, originally named after Catford Town Hall of which it forms a non-attached part. Then it was known as Lewisham Theatre.

Now, after a refurbishment, it's been rather pretentiously called The Broadway Theatre - though in fairness, it does actually stand in Catford Broadway. I once sang here (when it was Lewisham Theatre) - we performed Massenet's opera "Manon". There were more people in the cast than in the audience.


This is a picture of Catford Dog Track when it had been allowed to become derelict. I believe they are going to build on the site - they may already have started. It used to be a great place for a night out if you hired the hospitality suite for a function. I even went there once (only once, mind).

2 comments:

Nezumi said...

Stories tend to get a life of there own. I do,like cats, the idea off a colony of cat sounds funny.
I only sang at school and at summer camp. That's a while ago.
Like the place where you live.

JoJo said...

Cool little area of town!!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake