View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Not a bad office to work in

So here I am, at work after nearly 3 months' rest, and to my surprise I have a most spectacular view from my 8th floor office windows. Actually, it's better than these photos, but I didn't have my camera with me today. There is a view directly over the River Thames. If this were an apartment, it would be worth a fortune with such views.

The Woolwich ferry.
This leaves from just up the road. It is a free ferry that takes cars across between South and North Woolwich. There is also a foot tunnel nearby, and one a few miles the road at Greenwich.


This is a probably a part of my view, but it's difficult to pin it down. The river is very wide by the time it gets to Woolwich.


The Thames Flood Barrier is to the east of Woolwich. This picture shows it raised against potential flooding. I don't know the official names for its parts, but the piers are a permanent fixture, the walls between roll up when the water is high. The Thames is a tidal river, and exceptionally high tides are a constant danger - and a more frequent one these days. It may not be enough for much longer.


From closer up you can see the boat-shaped piers, which look a bit like those of an old-style bridge. You can go on boat trips to the Barrier and there are also guided tours. (I never took one).

Of course, Woolwich is where they filmed Full Metal Jacket, creating what they needed at an old gasworks. There are also glimpses in the film of the Royal Artillery Barracks, which will be in my next post.

4 comments:

JoJo said...

Sweet view Val!!! Lucky you! I bet you'd prefer to stare out the window all day at the river than do work!! Congrats on scoring such a great office!!

ann said...

I wouldn't get any work done.... I'd be imagining myself cruising down the river with vincent, but it may not be such a good idea... did you know it's possible to be seasick on the Woolwich Ferry... yeah yours truly... doh!

val said...

Ann, I love going on boats on the river! Never sick, I'm a river baby. We used to have the river police in every year when I was at primary school telling us of the dnagers of the then dirty Old Father Thames. Riverside homes should be for people like me, not rich posers!

Anonymous said...

these are so beautiful, i will be visiting there very soon, in the meantime i copy the pics and show them off, i think your are very fortunate to live in such a beautiful country have a good day

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake