View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Friday, July 14, 2006

Happy Retirement, Keith

On Wednesday I went to the retirement do of the Head of the first school I ever taught at - Deptford Green, which is in one of the areas of London most in need of tender loving care. I never worked with Keith, but I've heard great things about him over the years.

During the speeches he was in fits of laughter as stories of his fun-loving and quirky character were told, like the one where, when school was back after the summer break, he stood behind a female teacher in the dinner queue and said, "Lost a lot of weight during the holidays." "Thanks," she said. "No, not you, me," he replied.

In 20 years he never missed a single day at school. Even if he had a meeting or a conference he would call in at school before or afterwards.

During his headship he was awarded an OBE (Order of the British Empire) and a knighthood or peerage don't seem out of the question.

I wouldn't like to be the person who had to follow that act!

1 comment:

JoJo said...

What a great anecdote about the weight loss!!!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake