View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Sunday, January 09, 2011

What is a dongle?

The very question I asked a couple of years ago when I first heard it. Let this online description tell you:

"A mobile dongle lets you use mobile broadband to access the internet no matter where you are. Once you've signed up to your chosen provider you simply plug your dongle into the USB socket on your laptop and away you go."

So now you know.

And this is what it looks like straight out of the box:




You put it into your laptop's USB port and you are fully mobile:







They are available on subscription or pay-as-you-go. For £30 I got the dongle (£20) and 2GB of download capacity which is valid for 3 months (a lot more than the guy in the shop said!) It is slower than my normal broadband, but it is MUCH better than the alternative (which is nothing).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonder if it was a man that decided on calling this device a 'dongle'??!!

judith said...

I have'nt got a laptop. I wondered the same as Diane.

Eliza said...

I've often wondered why it was called a Dongle..but not seriosuly enough to go and find out.I do know that the name makes me smile for some weird reason :-D

Anonymous said...

OHHHH, so that's what they call those things. I've considered buying one of those "thingies" just for the times we go camping and are without internet but it kinda defeats the purpose of "getting away from it all".

fuzzytweetie said...

What does Bobby's "dongle" look like????

mauigirl said...

Ahhh, thanks for the info Val. Similar things are sold in the states, don't have one as I'm (usually) well conected, but hubs has one for emergencies. I will ask if it's called a dongle, but doubt so.
fuzzy: Whooo-hoo, we're going on a VDO dongle hunt!

Unknown said...

I'm not sure I understand something... I'm zero in computing! :)

JoJo said...

Val, you amaze me that you can deal w/ all of these techie thingies and toys. I've no idea how to do any of this. I can't even figure out how to use the digital photo frame Brian got me a couple years ago.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake