View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Sunday, February 17, 2008

Privilege

No, not the Season 6 episode.

It's what I've experienced today. On this fine, sunny (though rather cold) day, I have sat in my conservatory and watched the wildlife parade through my garden. Ths sparrows and starlings were the most in evidence, but when I had a dig around the fatty deposits dropped from the much-used bird feeders, my resident but rarely seen grey wagtail landed just a couple of yards from me, as if watching for any worms I may dig up. This is usually the behaviour of robins. Such a privilege.

It is now 4.30 and I left my computer to see if it was an opportune time to refill the feeders. There were two squirrels bounding around, a blackbird on the ground - and TWO robins! They do not usually have overlapping territories. Perhaps the weather is luring them into courtship behaviour? I've bought one nest box to put up on my newish garden shed, I think I'll add a couple more and hope that the garden will be full of baby birds this summer.

Now all I have to do is train the cats to love birds - but NOT as dinner!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anything frolicking about in my neck of the woods today would have required woolly underwear, over coats, gloves and scarves. It's been sunny but absolutely FREEZING cold. Apparently we might hit -10 tonight. I need to snuggle with Vincent....

SnarkAngel said...

It's warmed up here in Chicago, too. I walked to a friend's house to feed his cats, clean the litterbox, etc. (he's out of town). On the way home, I experienced what I believe to be our first spring rain. Too bad it's not spring yet. LOL

Eliza said...

It's been a lovely crisp day here too...but we don't have half as many birds in our garden.I think the local magpies may frighten the smaller ones off unfortunately..and if they don't our cats certainly do

cathy said...

It's snowing in Athens and the whole bloody country has come to a standstill!
Thanks for sharing your garden visiters with us:)

kris said...

good luck training your cats...sounds like you had a lovely day:)

JoJo said...

What a relaxing day! We had a lovely weekend here; it got up into the 60's in some places.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake