View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Of Cats and Kings

Well, not the kings, actually, but cats - mmm.

I have seven cats. I never intended to have this many. I do not breed them. They all happened into my life in some other way.

When I saw the Ashera, I was stunned. I really wanted one - though as it is HUGE (just look at the size of the one next to the young girl) and a cross between the Asian Leopard Cat, the Serval and an undisclosed domestic cat, it would probably savage my existing cats. It also costs up to £17,600, so forget it.












The Bengal cat is a more manageable version of the wild-looking cat, being a cross just between the Asian Leopard Cat and a domestic breed. It is now down to an F5 hybrid, so not very close to the wild animal any more.












A friend is the secretary of the Bengal Cat Society, and it appears that a woman member has died unexpectedly, leaving 9 cats without homes. Not all are purebred (she-cats on heat being as devious as they are and always on the lookout for a scruffy tom to mate with) but all are beauties. And they are looking for new homes.

I wonder how my cats would take to a mini leopard in the house...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im alergic to cats fur,but I love any wild cats.Very pretty photos of that cat.It a beauty!!!

SnarkAngel said...

I have a feeling you're going to make room for ONE of those 9 cats, regardless of breed . . . just because you love animals. Keep us posted on what happens!

Jane said...

They are beautiful. I never thought I'd have 4 cats but when they wander into your life, what are you supposed to do?!

Eliza said...

They are both beautiful looking breeds...although the top one is just a bit too big for comfort I think.Imagine one of those asleep on your bed all night :-)

If you take one of the 9 looking for a home please keep us posted!

Unknown said...

hey, val,

you can always send one to nebraska to tess'...

Anonymous said...

Hi maybe you should look at a breed called a Savannah, I think it's a cross between a serval and a domestic, leaving out the leopard bit. Not sure how I know this, just one of the bits of information that's found it's way into my overly cluttered brain.

JoJo said...

What stunning animals! So, do you think you'll adopt one of the orphans?

Dirty Soap said...

I gave up cats after my Maine Coone mix passed (but he was 14).But now I have two dachshunds,one dachshund/chihuahua cross and one hound/Rottie mix.Four canines!But maybe someday I would like another Maine Coone mix.

The big cat is awesome!Have you seen Pixiebobs?They are a cross between bobcats and domestic cats...very fast!

Anonymous said...

I think we should leave the wild cats in the wild.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake