View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Floored!

Well, I will be. Or my kitchen will.

When I moved into this house in 1977 (yikes!) the kitchen floor - which is over a four foot high cellar - had been covered in hardboard and tiled. It was pretty scruffy, and took days to dry when I'd mopped it, so when I had the kitchen remodelled I laid carpet tiles. Later I replaced that with proper kitchen carpet.

In 2000 I had the kitchen remodelled again, and this time a patch of floor which had been left unboarded under the original units was revealed. Having a decent new floor laid was an expense too far, so I had carpet laid again. But it is now covered in stains like (hold down your supper) cat puke, and trying to scrub it out just stretches the stuff.

So today I went to a flooring shop and discussed the problem with a guy there. (I didn't mention the cat puke). He is sending the fitter round to size everything up, and all being well, I have chosen the most expensive vinyl in the store. It's guaranteed against wear for 20 years. Should see me out then!

9 comments:

Eliza said...

Good Luck!

We live in a modern box with concrete floors..but I still have gaping holes in the vinyl in the kitchen from where I knocked a couple of units out last year...maybe this year I'll get round to replacing the floor,but I wouldn't hold your breath...I've got used to it now....which is something to worry about really :-)

JoJo said...

Eegads....we had carpet in our kitchen in SF and it got so gross, and we didn't even have animals back then! However, you should see our carpet now...ew ew ew ew

Good luck w/ your new floor!

Claire said...

Carpet in the kitchen!? eeekkk! Yikes! cat, dog, and people puke plus messy family in my case. I am lobbying for more hardwood when we finally change our family room carpet. With all my pets it will make clean up easier.

Claire said...

What do you put in a 4 foot high cellar anyway?

SnarkAngel said...

Ditto, what Claire asked. LOL

Anonymous said...

Cat puke Val, UGH! But sometimes I have dog puke but so far not on the carpets. The vinyl will be much easier to clean girl LOL. 20 years and you will still be here on Molly with us chatting up about VDO. You are not that old my dear friend.

Jean

Anonymous said...

Cat puke Val, UGH! But sometimes I have dog puke but so far not on the carpets. The vinyl will be much easier to clean girl LOL. 20 years and you will still be here on Molly with us chatting up about VDO. You are not that old my dear friend.

Jean

Anonymous said...

In my old house the floors were uneven; you could put a pencil on the floor on one side of the room and it would roll away to the other side. That house was built in 1919. It had been partly insulated with newspapers from 1919 (we didn't keep them because they turned to dust when you touched them).

I've never heard of carpet in a kitchen. I have hardwood floors in mine.

val said...

Duh! You don't PUT anything in a 4-foot-high cellar, it gives you access to electricals and water supply without yanking up the floorboards.

The cellar under the rest of the house is 6 feet high, but none of it is "finished", just dirt floors and bare brick walls.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake