View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Toothless Pedant

On Sunday a particularly tasty toffee sucked a crown right off a tooth. I had to eat the rest of the packet (33% extra free) on the other side of my mouth!

On Monday I phoned the dentist. He was just back from holiday (he always is - when he's not actually on holiday) so he was fully booked up. But his nurse phoned today with an appointment after school to get it stuck back in.

So I had to wait a couple of hours till I could eat. I passed the time fruitfully by emailing The Today Programme (BBC Radio 4's most important and influential organ - NO JOKES) to point out in proper pedant Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells style, that there was a slight problem with their report on the theft of ecclesiastical lead, and the presenter's introduction to it. The lead is on church roofs. NOT "rooves". Hoof - hooves. Roof - roofs. What ever happened to the Queen's English?

These people interview the Prime Minister, for goodness' sake. I'm sure HE'd know the difference...

9 comments:

JoJo said...

But the important thing is that you were able to push thru and finish that pack of toffee!!

I once watched one of my friends rip off a filling and part of her tooth on a Sugar Daddy (toffee) pop. It was stuck in the toffee. I nearly pissed myself from laughing at her horror to see most of her tooth stuck on the pop. Then she goes and blames ME for dragging her away from her studying to go for a walk; on the walk, we purchased the Sugar Daddies.

I hope that your tooth is better and fixed!

BobbyG said...

Ouch! But if you had to lose a crown, I can think of no better reason. I do like me some toffee or caramels or better still...chocolate covered caramels. I have a bridge on the bottom left side of my mouth and a crown on the upper right. I am always fearful I'll pop one when eating a particularly chewy treat.

When I was fitted for my crown, I told the dentist that I told everyone at work that I'm the Queen, so it was fitting that I should have a crown.

Hope all is fixed and you're back to eating toffee soon.

Claire said...

Rooves? Hahaha, LOL.
And those darn dentists are always off on some fabulous trip or another thanks to you and me and our rotten teeth!

Axe said...

Ha! That's why I don't eat toffee, hon. (It also gives me unbearable tooth ache)
Chocolate, next time. Its as easy to suck on as Big V!!! (Not half as delicious, though)

JoJo said...

If you get a new crown, can you go live at Buckingham Palace? lol

JoJo said...

If you get a new crown, can you go live at Buckingham Palace? lol

SnarkAngel said...

"Rooves." Sounds like something an American would say. I think we have the market cornered when it comes to butchering the English language . . . have you ever listened to George Bush?

val said...

Snarkangel, I love listening to George Bush, he's so funny. Or he would be if he were not so dangerous.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I live in the land of flat vowels so we don't have 'Carsels' we have 'cass-els' ('castles' to the rest of the world). BBC's Question Time is coming to Buxton in Derbyshire soon; it's hilarious hearing local radio suddenly pronounce it as 'BUCKSTON' where forever it's been 'Bookston'. Then again, most of the kids talk as if they're extras from 'Eastenders' ('innit?')

Bad luck on the tooth there Val, but clearly the toffee was worth the 'suffering'.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake