View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Sunday, November 18, 2007

Shameful

The US and Britain just love the Saudis. They will go to any lengths to keep this oppressive regime happy. The British even dropped a corruption investigation in case it interfered with the sale to them of god knows what, that they can use against their own citizens. As for women's rights - I just read an article in Saturday's Guardian newspaper that shocked me to the core.

"A judge in Saudi Arabia has ordered a victim of gang rape to receive 200 lashes - more than double her original sentence for being alone with a man who was not a relative - after she appealed against the lenient sentences given to the men who attacked her. He also jailed her for six months.

"The 21-year-old woman...was raped 14 times by a gang of seven.... Her attackers were found guilty and sentenced to between 10 months and five years last year."

Their sentences were increased as well as hers - so that's all right then. Punished for being a victim of a vicious attack. What is more, her lawyer's licence to practise law has been revoked.

Hey, folks, these are our allies! No whisper of invading this totalitarian regime and replacing it with something more liberal and democratic. After all, they already supply us with oil and don't quibble. They are the good guys! They just produced - ooh - Osama Bin Laden. SO we owe them. Right?

11 comments:

JoJo said...

And most of the terrorists on 9/11 were our friends, the Saudis!! I am so sickened by our relationship with them.

The Bushes and Saudi royal family have been in bed together for years. Meanwhile our oil prices are thru the roof and the poor, esp. the elderly poor, are put in the horrid position of choosing between warmth and food.

Jane said...

I'm disgusted with our relationship with them..

Anonymous said...

I saw this yesterday too, and thought I'd misread it. A woman gets raped and she gets some lashes too? Then I read it again, and realised I'd read it right the first time.....
Speechless, and our ass-kissing makes me puke. Amazing how we think canoodling with them is just fine, when the UK Government has more or less apologised for everything this country has ever done since time began. It can only be a short time now before we start paying compensation to the descendants of the French we whupped at Agincourt - or those who missed the (invaders) boat in 1066!!!

Anonymous said...

These "towel heads" make me sick, Bush and his Daddy have been in business with the Bin Ladens forever, after all it was the Bin Laden family he had flown out of the US before anyone knew about them. We have to pay the price of the oil because he is making a profit now.
It is outrages what they do to poor women who have no say in their destiny, hopefully one day the women will rebel and take over the countries where they have been so abused.
Jean

SnarkAngel said...

This bullshit is the kind of crap that just rattles me to the core . . . this is something our broadcast media should be airing relentlessly. Americans need to wake up and smell the oil. It's tainted. With the blood of the victims of injustice.

Anonymous said...

I don't even want to think about it.

Sometimes I really want to apologize for being American.

Please, no more blood for oil.

Regina Caschetto said...

I heard this report on the news also and I am so upset that we the American people don't demand intervention in this terrible debacle-just saw the movie "Syriana" on TV last night and unfortunately it seems to possible not to believe-I am an American citizen and I have no idea what to do about this-write your Congressman or woman and they send you a polite letter back thanking you for your concern-
Feel helpless-
Regi.

Claire said...

I sat my 12 year old daughter and her bff down and read them this article. I was so outraged. I wanted to make sure they knew about this shitty anti-woman fake justice system the Saudis have.

MYM said...

It's outrageous. We should be able to do something...I'm sure there's somewhere where we can add our voices...amnesty international maybe. But you're all right about the closeness of our governments with these animals...just because of oil. Shameful.

Axe said...

These bastards are all over Africa, trust me.You should see the horrid things that the Africans do to their women....for instance, stoning a woman to death for wearing trousers, female "circumsision"(sp?), so that can not feel sexual pleasure, etc.

I'm not gonna get started, because I'll just get pissed off and fill up all your comment space, but you're so right, Val, the entire world is corrupt. Its all about money and power. Morals are dead in most countries anyway.

That is why I am all for vigilante justice/ mob justice. They would never say this on the news, but in the townships here - when they catch a rapist, they cut his balls off and bury him alive, upside down, head first. Now THAT is justice.

I say again --- Vlad Dracul was the epitome of a good ruler. Look up his history....his REAL history. Would be nice if our "rulers" ended up at the mercy of people like him.

The Bible was written there too....notice the parallels there too?

Anonymous said...

I was sickened when the Queen
said in her speech how we shared
the same values...

SHE IS NOT MY QUEEN

and she was not speaking on my behalf

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake