View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Saturday, September 22, 2007

Thief!

I have bird feeders hanging from my washing line which are routinely raided by a couple of squirrels. Today I caught one of them in the act. It was too dark to catch the pair of them playing later in my apple tree, firstly ringing the windchimes, then chasing around. Finally one got on the ground to look for interesting snacks, not noticing that my large tortoiseshell cat, Twiglet, was about to pounce on him. Luckily for him, she's not a talented hunter, and he was back up the tree long before she reached him.














A little while later, having sneaked under a bush, Twiglet tried to catch a bathing sparrow on the birdbath by jumping up on it. All she got was wet feet.

By the way, anyone wondering about the knot in the washing line - that's the squirrels' way of getting to ALL the food at once by making it fall on the ground.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have to admire the enterprising spirit of the squirrels!

val said...

Not to mention the triumph of hope over experience in cats!

SnarkAngel said...

I gotta love the squirrels! We have many in my neighborhood, and more than a few become quite tame. They are so much fun to watch.

Anonymous said...

julie...

Twiglet. I LOVE that name for your cat, Val. Great backyard shots.

MYM said...

Aw, I luv squirrels. When I had a backyard they'd leave me feeling rather stupid with ever effort I made to keep them out of the bird feeders, lol.

Unknown said...

they are cute.... in a cunning sort of way.

JoJo said...

I love squirrels too. One used to come to our slider and take peanuts from our hand; we named her Mrs. Whiskerson. Then one spring she brought her baby to our slider to take food from us as well.

Beth said...

Fun to watch but a pain if you have birdfeeders. We have them in Michigan too--we've put deflectors on our bird feeder, but the squirrels still hang out and scare off some of the birds (they get quite a bit of food off the ground, so they aren't starving by any means).

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake