View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Sunday, September 23, 2007

Over the top

There can never be too much Vincent. For me, there can never be too much of Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet ballet score. When he first offered it to be choreographed, it was rejected as being too difficult to dance to. Dancers weren't used to so much passion in the music they danced to (think of the schmaltzy Tchaikovsky ballet scores). In this piece from the finale of Act 2, Romeo has just killed Juliet's cousin Tybalt in revenge for his killing of Mercutio. In Nureyev's production at least, Juliet wants to be hugged and comforted by Romeo, and she wants to beat him and spurn him for killing her cousin. The anguish in the music is one of the most powerful things I have ever heard. Ideal to set Elton and Guy's angry passion to.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favourite movie version of 'Romeo and Juliet' is still the DeCaprio/Danes one from a few years ago. OK, you can burn me at the stake after S7 of C.I. has finished!

Anonymous said...

julie..

ah, so sexy. it would be absolute ecstasy to be the woman underneath that MAN.

abc said...

awesome piccies! ;)

and i LOVE prokofjew! in the documentary i edited about the orchestra they had an encore with prokofjew. my ab fav part of the whole concert! (and they had some good ones in the rest of it like sheherazade and the sorcerer's apprentice)

SnarkAngel said...

GULP! OMG! I think I just swallowed my . . . GUM! LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh. The book I was talking about where I get my weird words from is called "The Superior Person's Second Book of Weird and Wondrous Words." I also have the first one, but I can't find it. They're written by Peter Bowler.

JoJo said...

He must be an amazing lover in real life.

Anonymous said...

Bobby's girl here, Alright, Val!

Anonymous said...

julie...

Snarkangel, you crack me up.

Jane said...

*WOW* My brain just melted! As did my panties!

Anonymous said...

Great Val, loved those pictures of his booty, but she is so homely and cold that it is hard to believe it.

Thanks for the great music and the great show. Jean

ann said...

this and the previous one
are simply perfect... I think
Vincent and all his characters
are worthy of a little culture

Eliza said...

The music certainly works well with the passion of Guy & Elton..and as always you used the best pictures :-)

I was going to watch Logan's episode tonight,but I'm not sure I feel like it after that

JoJo said...

I just scrolled down and was wondering why Botophucket put that nastygram on this post!?!

val said...

It's back - but smaller, 'cos I loaded it directly from my computer to BLogger.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake