View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Monday, August 27, 2007

Back to Emmetts

Once before I did a post about Emmetts Garden in Kent, but I used Google pictures. Today I went back there and took some to share with you the special nature of the place.

The garden is high on a hill - the highest garden in Kent. This is my favourite view. It's to the south. The expanse of water right of centre is Bough Beech Reservoir. It keeps a lot of us in water during dry spells. It was constructed on farmland, and I used to know someone who grew up in one of the farmhouses they demolished to make the reservoir.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I thought the bark on this tree - a Stewartia - was beautiful. It's a bit like a plane tree's bark, but on a much smaller, smoother scale.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The view from the north is very open. They used to hold country fairs on the overgrown field in the foreground. In dry weather they had to be careful people didn't set the place on fire dropping lit cigarettes.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
When I got home, Mitzi and Dandy were looking beautiful in the garden, and I couldn't resist snapping them.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


10 comments:

JoJo said...

Beautiful photos and kitties! The tree bark sort of looks like what camoflage clothing looks like.

Lisa said...

Beautiful, Val... I just love when you show us the countryside - and your lovely kitties!
The Hub and I are taking in a stray that we met when we moved in - if it is girl, her name will be Abbie (ala Hoffman) or if it is a boy, it will be Cholo (ala You know who). We have to take it to the vet and get it checked, but hopefully we will have some photos soon!

I wish my hair looked as good as Dandy's! :)

SnarkAngel said...

Lovely scenery, and the four-legged babies are ADORABLE!

ann said...

what a beautiful green lush
place... reminds me of the
view from my old home ::choke::

the cats look very relaxed
bless 'em.

lotsa luv ann xxxxx

Anonymous said...

What's the old saying 'Oh to be in England....'?! Wonderful scenery Val.

Unknown said...

Great pics again, Val, and the cats look really sweet.

JoJo said...

Or the Angelic Upstarts song "England oh England the country so great, the land that's so fair and so true, there'll never be any colours like the red the white and the blue!"

plaice said...

This is my second try. My first comment just disappeared to be replaced by a photo of your beautiful long-haired cat. I was wondering how such a small country could have so much and such exquisite countryside. Maybe I watch too many BBC shows -- Vicar of Dibley, All Creatures Great and Small, etc. -- but it seems amazing to me that there are such beautiful places left. I was also commenting that your cats are great. My cat is so jumpy and grumpy (though very handsome) that sometimes I wish we could have a nice kitty. Only problem is it would live in fear of the beast if it managed to live at all!

val said...

Lisa, good luck with the kitty. Keep us posted.

Plaice, glad you managed to leave your comment in the end. We do have a lot of countryside left, I suppose, but the government is conspiring with the builders to get rid of it. As for the cat, I have a grumpy one who sits at the top of the stairs and defies the others to pass her. But even so, the most timid cat sometimes gives her a wash.

Liz said...

Beautiful Val, wonderful photo’s, I just love posts like this
and Mitzi and Dandy are ‘adorable’ :)

xxx
Liz

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake