View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Sunday, July 30, 2006

The Beatles

Indisputably the greatest pop/rock group of all time, the more I listen to their music, the more amazed I am at its richness and diversity, and the huge leaps they made from their early songs to the albums they progressed to. My ipod is full only of Beatles songs - I'm playing them now A-Z. The oldies radio station Capital Gold did a Beatles 24-hours last December. I challenge anyone to name another group or artiste whose work could sustain such a marathon. (I'm not prejudiced, you understand!)

I once attended a recording session at Abbey Road studios (for an opera, not rock music) and crossed the road on the famous zebra crossing almost without thinking about it. In 1963, when I was a mere 10 years old, I went to see the Fab Four at the local cinema, the Lewisham Odeon. They were a great live act (even in spite of the noise of the screams!) Their song-writing talents were vast. The White Album contains Vaudeville, calypso, blues, you name it.

These days, my favourite numbers change according to what I'm listening to at any given time, but Revolution (the fast and the slow versions) and my lovely George's Here Comes The Sun are way up there. Their two feature films were way ahead of their time - A Hard Day's Night (the title apparently a Ringoism) is really quite surreal.

The tragedy of the loss, first of the group, then of two of its members at such early ages, is almost as terrible as the early death of Mozart (and I love my Mozart).



3 comments:

ann said...

oh I screamed with the rest of them... George was my ab fab fav, but listening to their music today does nothing for me anymore... just a touch of nostalgia

daydream believer said...

growing up, my first 45 record was i wanna hold your hand, but i was more of a Monkey fan than a Beatles in the 60's...(born in 1960)..the older girls in the neighborhood had dibs on the Beatles and the Rolling Stones..us youngsters fought over Davy and Mickey or Mike and Peter....later David Cassidy, Bobby Sherman...oh and how could i forget....Donny Osmond!....but you are correct none of their music can hold a candle to the Beatles...which i did happily discover in highschool....Number Nine was a fun one to listen to while ...studying...i loved the white album and abbey road...

JoJo said...

I gotta go with Jacky on this one; I'm a Monkee FANATIC!!!!!! I loved their show & I loved their music (yes, they really did become a real band). Saw them live (w/o Mike) twice in 1986.

I did like the Beatles at one time, but I don't know, I guess I got tired of the music being so overplayed on the radio. To me, the Beatles was always the band that Paul McCartney was in before Wings (Val, please don't hate me!).

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake