View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Something Fishy

During the Victorian period, there were markets all over London for foods being brought in to feed the people of the capital - Smithfield for meat, Covent Garden for fruit and veg, and Billingsgate for fish and seafood.

This is the old Billingsgate Market building by the Thames, convenient for landing fish from the boats that sailed up the river:


These days, old Billingsgate is used for the business classes, rather than the workers, as a conference venue. A new, less grand market has been built a bit further inland:




Today I took my student to their seafood training school, where he experienced the creation of oriental smoked salmon and seafood stirfry with squid. I forgot to take any pictures (typical!) but this is the same room he had his lesson in:



Not very pleasant for a long-term veggie, but Alex had a good time, and unlike his earlier visits, before he had rods inserted in his spine, he can now try the food for himself, once it's been liquidised.

It's amazing the things you can do when you know about them!



5 comments:

JoJo said...

And all I can think about is how bad that place must stink. I hate the smell of fish. That's why I don't eat it.

UDENGUI said...

No se como lo haces, pero estan faantasicas las fotos y los comentarios. Este hombre es realmente facinante, bello, cuando se rei dan gans ce comerlo, cuando esta serio besarlo entero. Ojala continuen gravando mas temporada de LOCI, la serie esta fantastica.

JoJo said...

My Spanish is a little rusty but I think you've picked up a non-English speaking LOCI fan. ;) At first I thought this was spam, but they seem to like your photos and comments and LOCI is a great show.

val said...

My Spanish was never bright and shiny, JoJo, and was limited to telling the night porter in our hotel (in 1971!) that my friend's light switch was giving an electric shock. I did get the impression that she was a fan though - "este hombre" was what gave me the clue. Welcome, Udengui, and forgive me if I don't visit your blog regularly, but I think it would stretch my SPanish beyond all limits.

Music Wench said...

I love seafood markets. Used to have them in Hawaii and I really miss fresh seafood. I also miss the variety of ethnic foods available to me there. *sigh*

Thanks for sharing the photos. :-)

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake