View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Thursday, May 06, 2010

Election Day

Today is the day we've been waiting for for so long. It's been politics for what seem like years now, relentlessly thrust in our faces. People have remained undecided up to the wire, and the polls are too close to call.

In the London Borough of Lewisham, as well as electing our MP and our local councillors, we also have an elected mayor (who costs us a fortune both in pay and in selling off our assets). The borough is divided into wards, and each ward elects 3 councillors. Unusually we have 3 Green Party councillors, with whom I have worked closely for the past 4 years. They have really worked hard on our behalf. But in a General Election, people often ignore the smaller parties, and with a high turnout they may be in danger.

Nevertheless, we are one of the top 3 Green Party targets for a Green MP. Here is our candidate Darren Johnson, who has been deeply involved in local politics - for Lewisham and for the London Assembly - for years:


He's with Ute Michel, one of the current councillors (and coincidentally they are holding a meter to measure the current you are using in your house). The managed to get some put into local libraries so that people could borrow them to keep track on their electricity consumption.
Darren phoned me up last night (along with many hundreds of other people, I would imagine) to make sure I was going to vote for him today. As I have a huge Green Party sign erected like a flag in my front garden, I was able to assure him that he didn't need to worry about my vote.
The polls close in two-and-a-half hours and then we just have to wait and see. I don't think the end can come quickly enough for our local policeman, Brian, who has been instructed to do a 7-hour stint outside the polling station at the end of my street "in case of trouble".
The polling station is in the car park of some old people's flats.

5 comments:

JoJo said...

Besides our Democrats & Republicans, the next party is Independent. Then Libertarian and Green, and a tiny one called Peace & Freedom, I think. But like in the UK, when it comes down to the brass tacks, everyone votes for the big parties, not the smaller ones.

SnarkAngel said...

Good luck with your candidate, Val!

Anonymous said...

I'd still like to know why we need so many MPs...we have, what DOUBLE, what it takes to run the entire United States of America.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Good luck val! In France, everyone votes for the big parties in a national election. It's stupid...

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake