View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Ultimate DIY NIghtmare

Having just read Eliza's TV stand story, I felt I had to share this miserable failure of mine to illustrate how appalling my DIY skills really are.

Forget the new sink I fitted that needed a slightly longer wastepipe and fittings, because of the position of the drainhole, and the failure of the old and new to marry up because one was Imperial measurements and the other metric. That was small beer.

I bought a small aviary for my dear Henry so that he could spend quality time outside with me in the summer. It came in 6' by 3' panels with a steel frame, but no instructions. I spent a Sunday putting the great big heavy thing together as best I thought. But when I came to use it, I realised I'd actually constructed it inside out!

Next weekend I had to take the whole thing apart and reverse each panel.

And then Henry didn't even like it.

It's still in the garden. Well, you try unscrewing nuts and bolts that have rusted shut over the years.

Aviary, anyone?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't really had any building nightmares, but I did get symmetrical paper cuts on my hands yesterday.

Eliza said...

Frustration doesn't come close to how I felt after the tv stand cock-up, so I feel your pain. I suppose you could try training a plant to grow over the failed aviary :-)

JoJo said...

Let some ivy grow up and around it and you'll never notice it again!

Anonymous said...

I'm always extremely annoyed with myself that I can't build a house/service a car etc.etc. but then I suppose lack of these skills means work for others ;0)

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake