View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Rod for my own back

But not for my window.

After much trial and error - including trying to use some existing holes in the window frame - I dug out my electric drill. Vrooooom! This is going well, I thought. TIll I noticed there were not enough screws in the pack, and none of the 5000 I have in various toolboxes was suitable.

Back to the shop, where they had to open another pack to get me enough to finish the job.

Then I had to reposition some of the brackets. Offering up a pole with two bendy parts was like handling a live snake. Then I realised that the main part of the damn thing that had looked to be the right length was actually too long when I allowed for the fact that the brackets hold it away from the window. Out with the hacksaw to shorten both that and the two side pieces. Which are apparently made of diamond-hard material and uncuttable, especially with a blunt implement.

Plan B then came into operation. Shove the f**king stuff in the spare room till the weekend.

I like your cane solution, Eliza. It reminds me of the lengths of dowel we used when I was a kid. They slotted into hooks, too. Can't make the curtains go round corners, though.

JoJo, on another subject altogether (ie. Gary Sinise being a "squit") it's someone of no importance, with a hint of "squirt" about it, too.

Happy Accidents will, I hope, appear some time later this evening.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe this is called 'The Law of Sod', when you ALMOST have something done but then it conspires against you ;0)

JoJo said...

One time I was assembling our CD cabinet only to find that the idiots who packed the box put in 2 left sides for the unit, instead of a left and right. I was sooooo pissed.

Like Ann commented on yesterday's post, I call in the professionals whenever possible!!! Brian and I are not DIY people.

Thanks for the explanation of 'squit'! lol

SnarkAngel said...

Now that you've "shoved the f***ing stuff into the spare room," maybe you can spend your spare time working on a much more friendly and delectable "pole" of a VDO nature ... thereby being able to SHOVE THAT f***ing thing into something besides a spare room .... hee.

Eliza said...

It's always the way Val..I've long given up expecting that I will be able to finish something without a hitch. I put together a new tv stand a few weeks ago..and I finished it before realising that the shelf in the middle wasn't right..it's still not right, btw, because there was no way I was going to take it all apart again.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake