View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Saturday, June 06, 2009

My New Toy

There is constant talk about installing smart meters in our homes to monitor our electricity use, but no one wants to bear the expense. The alternative is an electricity monitor. You can buy them, rent them from the manufacturer, or where I live you can borrow them from the library. There's quite a waiting list for that, though.

Today, in my local shopping centre, the Energy Saving Trust had a stall giving and collecting information, and giving away freebies. So this little baby





which should cost over £30, cost me absolutely ZILCH!
It's sitting beside me tell me I'm using just over a penny an hour at this minute. I've used nearly 4 pence since I started it up about an hour-and-a-half ago.
It can even tell me my what my greenhouse emissions are.
Sadly, as my heating and water from the hot tap are both supplied by gas, my new gadget (god I love gadgets) only tells me what I waste when I leave items on standby, or do not switch off an electric socket that has a little light on it. Since I already unplug everything I can when it's not in use (for my oven that can last for days, even weeks...) and have half-a-dozen low energy light bulbs in use, I'm probably saving all I can.
Oh look, the amount per hour just went down to 0.845 pence per hour! What changed? How can I do it again?

4 comments:

Eliza said...

Sounds like an interesting piece of kit, although just how useful it is if you already do everything you can to keep your energy use down, I'm not sure.

We have prepayment meters (a hang over from when J was out of work) and although they work out a little more expensive than others, I like knowing exactly how much I spend every week.

SnarkAngel said...

I live in a centrally metered building (electric and gas are included in my rent), so I have no idea how much I use. But kudos to you Val for actually caring. Enjoy the new gadget!

ann said...

I'm very cost conscience about my utility bills... not only for the environment, but mostly for my pocket

fuzzytweetie said...

Sorry, I had a good belly laugh at "emissions".......LOL

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake