View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Friday, May 22, 2009

Failure

My pictures from the new Season 3 DVD are not going well. The proportions are wrong. Except for the time when I had to reload PowerDVD and did the pictures too small, I've always saved them in the proportions 720x476. But the new DVD has widescreen, and my pictures are all squashed up.



This post started out as a plea for help to decide what proportions I should be saving the pictures in. Then I had a brainwave. My new TV has widescreen proportions of 16:9. I multiplied those up and the end result was this:



So I only wasted two hours capping Gemini wrongly, and another two when I capped Undaunted Mettle the other week.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, my widescreen pix (made by Powerdvd) are sized 720 x 406. Make sure you check the 'Keep aspect ratio' box on Powerdvd and I THINK I also checked box saying something about 'Keep original source size'. Since I've unexpectedly found myself making odd sized/weirdly shaped pix a few times in the past, now I make a couple first, and make sure they look 'right' before going any further.

val said...

Thanks Diane. (For those who don't know this post used to be called Help! and Diane answered the call; I reposted just after my successful experiment, and just after Diane posted this comment.)

jazzy said...

when i use PowerDVD (which i don't do often) i always check "custom size" 700 x 304 or 720 x 406. it works.

TJara said...

Diance was quicker than I was. I was gonna say that there should be a box somewhere that you can check that reads "Keep aspect ratio" or "keep source size".

fuzzytweetie said...

NOTHING is a failure when it comes to posting VDO stuff! Geez, I'm in the company of geniuses!!!!!!

Eliza said...

Everyone has it covered already :-)

I'm glad you perservered, the new caps look excellent!

Because I tend to cap directly from video files these days, I don't use PowerDVD much. GOMplayer lets me keep the aspect ratio of the original file, thankfully, so I don't end up with too many mistakes( apart from the ones I mess up cos of capping too fast)

Jane said...

Since I don't know how to cap I can't offer any advice. I just know I'm grateful for all your caps Val :)

BASRIC said...

It is a pain to figure out proportions and still have nice clear pictures.

Amazon has updated their system so my Season 8 pictures are better.

Thanks for taking the time, but I assure you we'd still love him squished.

SnarkAngel said...

I am forever in the debt of all you capping geniuses! Good work, Val!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information.....


___________________

Vince

Free for 3 months, enjoy 28Premium movie channels

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake