View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Friday, December 26, 2008

Harold Pinter

The Nobel Prize-winning playwright dies on Christmas day of cancer, aged 78. He is famous for such plays as The Caretaker and The Birthday Party.

He sort of passed me by. I never went to see any of his plays. His anti-war, left-wing politics should have appealed to me, but never really registered. I suppose it was his marriage to Lady Antonia Fraser, the historical novelist, that made the most impression. I was once at the Royal Opera House when my companion told me the couple was seated a few rows behind us. I didn't even turn round to look.


In 1973-4 I worked for a while for the Greater London Council's Housing Department. Pinter had recently moved out of his council-owned flat. My new boss had received a request from a collector for - the front door! Yes, our very own madman, Spike Milligan (the greatest comic who ever lived) had a collection of doors. And he wanted to add Pinter's to it.

To my shame, that is the most - aside from his marriage - that I remember about him. And it isn't even his story.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know his name, I love her books, but that's about it *bows head in shame*

SnarkAngel said...

Pinter was not only an amazing playwright, but perhaps one of the greatest "thinkers" of our time. Sad that we lost both him and Eartha Kitt at Christmastime...

Music Wench said...

What SnarkAngel said.

I heard about Eartha Kitt first and got a bit teary eyed. I always thought she was pretty awesome.

Harold Pinter was definitely amazing.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake