View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Free Day

Today I unexpectedly had a free day. The school where I work on Tuesdays had a training day. I could have gone in, but I wouldn't have been paid. Much better to take the time spending money rather than making it! So I went to London Zoo for a change...

Zaire, the gorilla matron, is having a tough time adjusting to having a new young rival. She is plucking out her own fur - hence the mohican hairdo.

She was waiting for her food - something which, as you can see from her VERY large stomach, she loves. She looks so human squatting there with her hand on her hip.

When the food had been spread around outside for Zaire and Bobby they were let out. The keeper then prepared young Effie's repast. He put her food in a ball, which he placed inside an old plant pot, then wrapped these up in several old sacks. Effie had to unwrap her treats before she could eat them . Seems to me she needs a tougher challenge!

Her drink was in a large plastic bottle. She waited to finish her food before washing it dwon with what I believe is a herbal tea. Sorry this picture and the next got swapped round by Blogger.



Last time I was at the zoo, I had forgotten my camera, and the phone pictures made it very difficult to see the pygmy marmosets in the new rainforest enclosure. I had better luck today. They are so tiny and cute! They are smaller than the average rat. Their little faces are so human!
George the greenwing macaw loves to show off his natural behaviours, one of which is pulling himself along underneath a rope (doubling as a creeper) with his feet and beak.

Black and white ruffed lemurs are among my favourite creatures in the world. This one was brought on in the arms of her keeper like a live teddy bear. I'm so jealous.

1 comment:

JoJo said...

Beautiful pics of beautiful animals; the lemur is adorable. Although gorillas creep me out!! Zaire looks preggers.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake