View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Thursday, April 05, 2007

A Great Send-Off

Today we said our last goodbyes to George. He had his wish, to go to his own funeral on his restored army truck (though it did manage to break down on its way from its home in the country).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



It was standing room only in the chapel at the crematorium, as many members of his group that rescues and restores old army vehicles were there. In the cortege there were land rovers, jeeps and other 4x4s (not very green, but George would have loved it). A couple of them were done up in camouflage. They are used in celebrations of landmark events in World War 2.

After the funeral there was a reception at a "working men's club" - a very old British institution, where women are just as welcome these days, and it also has veterans links. Then some of us went back to the house. It was a glorious day, 18C/65F, and we sat in the garden sipping tea. George's great nephew Harry, who is about 18 months old, was fascinated by the little waterfall feature, especially when his Uncle Lloyd taught him how to splash it about.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



It was exactly the kind of send-off George wanted, with lots of laughs and lots of tears. His wife Alice, son Darren and daughter Susan really did him proud, and the people who made it all possible demonstrated their affection for a gentle, mild-mannered and very funny man.

There's a big hole in all our lives. But we are all very glad that we knew him. People who didn't don't know what they've missed.

9 comments:

Jane said...

Sounds like it was a wonderful send off Val.

JoJo said...

What a beautiful ceremony and afternoon. I'm sure George was right there with all of you, and he will always be in your hearts. Harry is adorable.

Eliza said...

Sounds like George had the send off he deserved!

mary said...

Family means so much. I'm glad you have the opportunity to be in what sounds like a great one. Thaanks for sharing with us. I bet George enjoyed it.

cathy said...

God rest his soul.

Anonymous said...

I wish George an afterlife filled with tea.

Claire said...

I love that restored army truck! What a great idea it was to use it for the funeral. I'm sure George was smiling down at you all.

Dana Barnett said...

Hi Val,I Love your blog site,Vincent, animals,and all.God bless your dearly departed...




Dana.

Dana Barnett said...

Val,Thank's for reading me!!!It take's a half an hour to scoll down past all of your Vincent's to leave you a comment,But I'm not complaining!!!He Is sooooooooooooo Hot!!!!!!!!!!!!Beside's the fact that he oh so reminds me of my ex,[alot of hurt there]It is three months old.But anywho he dosent look exactly like him,only in some poses.When ever I get a new digital cam,I'll try and post some of his pics,You'll see what I mean...But to hell with him [Albert]My ex also my daughter's Dad.Oh well time shall heal...When you get a chance come and check out my other blog sit [words within]On another note,who was your dearly departed?,Was he in the war?,Only anser if you'd like...




Big hugs-Dana.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake