View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Monday, February 05, 2007

First Trip to France

In 1970, when I was 17 I won a language scholarship to spend 10 weeks in France. Only about 50-60 London school pupils a year got them, so it was quite an honour.

The first 3 weeks were spent in Boulogne-Sur-Mer, a ferry and fishing port on the English Channel, studying in a French school. Then we all split up to travel to the various families we had made arrangements to stay with.

Boulogne - a road to the old town.
My first stay was in the Loire Valley, where the beautiful chateaux of the French Renaissance stand. I was staying with a family who ran a summer boarding scheme for French schoolchildren. One of their friends was an elderly French woman, a teacher of English, who repaid the hospitality she had received in England over the years by taking me to some of these glorious mansions.
Chambord


Chenonceaux, home of the King's mistress, Diane de Poitiers.


Amboise.



The Chateau du Clos Luce in Amboise is where Leonardo de Vinci spent the last years of his life. It now houses an exhibition of models made of his amazingly prescient designs - armoured tanks, helicopters, etc.

Then I went to the south of the country to Montpellier. I spent most days on the beach at the nearby Palavas-Les-Flots.
Montpellier



The family took me to the millionaires' playground, La Grande Motte.

Travelling alone on trains and boats was an incredible experience for one so young. Even though I could translate a piece of French literature into English, I had never learnt the French for a return train ticket. I had to learn it all on the wing. It was very "character-forming".
By the time I came home, I was dreaming in French.

5 comments:

Claire said...

What a wonderful experience! I got to go to Europe for 6 weeks in the early 70's on an art student's tour. It was so much fun. We didn't get to stay in any place too long, but still I shall never forget it. I always tell young folks to go for it if they get the chance because once life ties you down...well, you get stuck.
Lovely photos too...

Julie said...

Beautiful pictures, Val. Europe is a cool place. I love the architecture.

JoJo said...

WOW! What a great trip! With memories to last a lifetime. The pictures you posted are beautiful; did you take them?

I've heard that English speaking people who spend time in a foreign country end up thinking in their new language, so I'm not surprised you were dreaming in French. One of my college friends told me that she knew she was finally fluent in German when she started thinking in German.

ann said...

I was living in Israel at that time... but I recall vividly a wonderful trip to France we took about 10/11 years ago. Rouen, Honfleurs, Giverny (Monet's Garden) Deauville, and an awesome chateau that's not dissimilar to the pic on my mrsbg blog.

Val you have wonderful memories that will last for ever and ever

val said...

JoJo, back in 1970, all folks had were crappy Instamatics. And no way could I have filmed the picture of Montpellier from the air like that! These are from GOogle.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake