View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Friday, May 06, 2011

Science Fiction Double Feature

When I went to that famous Late Night Double Feature Picture Show in the mid-late 1970s, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, paired with the super-lame Phantom of the Paradise, a few minutes after the appearance of the wonderful Tim Curry the guy behind's crunching of his popcorn slowed, then ceased altogether as with disbelief he uttered, "here, they're all a load of poofs"!

A few years later, I went to a Rocky Horror party. It remains the best and most memorable party I've ever been to.

I think it was there that I discovered that all across small-town America, the film was a cult classic that showed every weekend, with everyone dressed up in the appropriate gear, and singing and dancing along with the film. As far as I know, they still do. And who could blame them? I've only once been to a live performance of the musical, and it was a great experience.

So you can imagine how pleased I was to be watching an episode of Cold Case last night that I'd never seen before, in which a serial killer, played by the inimitable and ultra-talented Barry Bostwick, was about to be released, and the team needed to find an old murder outside his plea agreement so that he could continue to be held. And the murder they decided might be his - and probably his first - was wrapped up with this weekly cult of Rocky Horror.


Barry looked a bit like this in the programme,

but very mean and nasty.


But the end credits for the TV programme were done Rocky Horror style,

and they split the screen to show Barry as Brad.


It was such a treat. I must watch that movie again soon, and maybe go to the show if it turns up somewhere nearby.


And if you have never seen it - you must! Tim Curry the sexiest thing in fishnets, Meatloaf as the bike-riding Eddie, Susan Sarandon in the earliest stages of her stardom. If you liked Valentino, you'll love Frank'n'Furter.

6 comments:

JoJo said...

I've only seen the movie once, on Comedy Central, but when I was growing up, the midnight showings were huge here in the USA. One of my college friends used to dress up and participate with his fellow Rocky Horror fans. Tim Curry is just brilliant isn't he? I've been a fan of his since the early 80's. First exposure to him was his song, "I do the Rock" back in 1980, then I saw him play the role of Bill Sykes in a TV movie of "Oliver Twist".

Anonymous said...

Oh, do I remember the first time I went to see "Rocky Horror Picture Show"...I got pelted with hotdogs and toast. Everyone should go at least once to experience the mayhem that goes on with the audience during the viewing. When I went, there were people dressed up in character standing in front of the screen and reciting the words verbatim. The theatre showed it every weekend for years and now I just read that this theatre that had closed has reopened May 4th and will begin showing "Rocky Horror Picture Show" again. Great post!

Unknown said...

I'm ashamed but I've never seen RHPS!

val said...

But, Potzina, you're the resident film buff! You HAVE to watch it THIS WEEKEND!

Music Wench said...

I remember seeing it several times while in college. They played it on campus an I got in free because I worked at the student radio station. I never dressed up myself but remember others doing so. I also brought rice and toast to throw at the appropriate time. lol

It's always fabulous to watch. I adored Tim Curry and it was the best thing ever. Great memories!!!

sixtwosue said...

There were some great tunes on that soundtrack. Let's do the time warp again!

Oh, and Barry Bostwick is still pretty fine-looking.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake