View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Monday, May 02, 2011

Causes for Celebration and Sadness

I hate to rejoice in someone's death, but it's difficult not to be very happy that Osama Bin Laden is dead. He should be happy, too - now he must be with all those virgins he encouraged others to commit suicide missions for.


His death did push the death of a much-loved son of Britain down the running order, however. Yesterday, Our 'Enry - heavyweight boxer Henry Cooper - also died, aged 76. He was a lovable character, always gentlemanly and full of cockney charm. The main obstacle to his becoming world champion was that his eyes (or more properly his eyebrows) used to bleed very easily, and many a fight he might otherwise have won was stopped because of it. He was British and European champion for many years. In 2000 he was knighted, thus becoming Sir Henry Cooper.



Henry's greatest achievement was using his famed left hook to floor Cassius Clay, before the young American boxer had become world champion and then changed his name to Muhammad Ali.

Henry had an identical twin brother, George, also a boxer, though less successful, who died almost exactly a year ago.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not sad for OBL but I'm not happy either. I'm not sure his death will change something.
I can't talk about Henry Cooper because I don't know who he is. Sorry!

JoJo said...

I'm glad that Obama was able to do what Bush was not. Now if only this would be the end of both wars over there. Sadly, I don't think it is.

Music Wench said...

I thought Sunday evening was amazing. I was thrilled over the new LOCI and then as we were getting ready for bed, my husband and I heard the good news about Bin Laden.

It's not nice to say things like that but I can't help but feel vindicated for all the death and destruction he caused. I'm only sorry he didn't suffer more like the people he killed on 9-11.

Anonymous said...

Hard to rejoice over anyone's death yet I feel some vindication that he is gone. He had the opportunity to surrender himself but refused and used his own wife as a "human shield" which caused her death too. Now that he's gone, the threat against us will be amped up. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake