View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Saturday, April 23, 2011

Taking the Plunge

Yes, folks, I finally succombed to the temptation of being able to wear two pairs of earrings at once. I have so many pairs, it's the only way to get to wear them all...eventually.

I was having my hair cut, and my eye lighted upon the pictures of studs for their piercing service. Mine is most like the second down on the left, but it is tiny.



This time, I took advantage of the staplegun method. My first ear piercings were a different matter.


Almost 40 years ago, one of the Junior Year Abroad students from Colorado University at my Alma Mater Lancaster University offered her services. Her first piercing experience had failed, and when the holes had healed, her mother asked her if she'd like her to do it. Su accepted.


A few weeks later, she found her mother in the bathroom, ashen-faced, with a needle stuck in her own earlobe. Su finished off for her, and so her ear piercing career began.


I bought some sleepers and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide. I marked the precise place on each lobe that I wanted the hole to be. Su sterilised the needle and the earrings with contact lens solution, numbed my lobes with ice cubes, then homed in with her needle.


I didn't feel a thing. I heard the crunching sound though. When she'd done the first, she asked me if I was going to faint for her, and despite my denials, the crunching ensured I did her bidding, and passed out. I came to with my ears duly pierced, and I never had a single bit of trouble.


Hope this method is as trouble-free.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, very nice. My daughter just had the needle method done a few weeks ago on one of her ears. Near the top.
Now she's trying to talk me into letting her get her bellybutton done.

JoJo said...

I have only 1 hole each side. I had them double pierced but they kept getting infections.

Bev, i had my belly button pierced years ago. It's the hardest piercing to heal and takes up to a year. they are the ones most likely to give you trouble or get infected. Mine never healed right despite my following the cleansing instructions to a T. you have to be religious about it and I did and it still stayed infected. Not to mention the pain. I finally took it out after a year.

Jane said...

I have double pierced ears. I used to have one ear triple pierced, but as I got older I decided it looked stupid so I let it close.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely love this post, Val. I wasn't allowed to get my ears pierced when I was in school. I waited until way after I graduated high school to go get it done. With the staple gun. I remember them doing the first ear and hearing the "crunching" sound just like you mentioned. It hurt so bad I asked if I had to get the other done and they went ahead and did it, LOL. When I left the jewelry store, it was a windy day and the wind blowing on my newly pierced ears hurt like hell. Not too long after, I got the double-piercing. Then I had some wacky asymmetrical haircut and got my right ear pierced three more times on the "shaved" side where they could be seen. Of those three, the last one was done spur of the moment at a party of a friend. She worked in a jewelry store and had a staple gun and studs at her apartment. We all lined up, after shots of tequila, and she "stapled" us one-by-one. I never felt it, LOL. Two on one side, five on the other. Fits my personality.

Amelea said...

I have three in each ear. I have found that the bang of the gun drowns out the sound of the flesh being severed.

One of my daughters had 2 belly button piercings that she had no trouble with until she got pregnant, then she had to take them out and let them heal.

Ducky said...

I have three on each side. Unfortunately I can only where wire hoops. Have always had trouble with wearing posts, no matter what kind. Always seem to get irritated and infected. My daughter has both ears pierced from the bottom all the way around the top. Can't see myself doing that. Am very happy with three.

Music Wench said...

I have three holes on each side. Used to wear earrings all the time. Now I can't wear earrings at all because my ears get irritated. :-/

Anonymous said...

I will probably never get my ears pierced. I'm terrified of needles and I don't really want anything hanging from my ears. It's just not for me.

judith said...

I'm with beatlelady on this.

Eliza said...

1 earing on ech side is more than enough for me, thank you..I'm a wimp and proud of it :-)

Anonymous said...

See, I've always worked on the premise that if god intended me to have holes in my ear lobes, I'd've been born with 'em!

mauigirl said...

I have two piercings in each ear, but as many of you have stated, they became so irritated no matter if the earing is gold, silver, surgical steel or junk. I had my belly button pierced several years ago and the procedure hurt like HELL. I don't wear it anymore though.

Ruby said...

I'm with you, Diane!! You don't meet many women with no piercings at all these days! Glad to know I'm in the company of other "intact lobers"! And with such good taste in men, too!!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake