View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Monday, March 31, 2008

Plane Crash

At 2.30 yesterday afternoon, a Cessna crashed into a house in Farnborough, Kent, killing all five people on board. Apparently the pilot struggled valiantly to steer the plane away from a housing estate, and tried to crash into nearby woodland, but he didn't quite make it, crashing into a house instead.

By great good fortune, the owners were away, and no-one on the ground was killed or injured.

The house is just a few streets from a huge hospital (one of the group at which I had an operation 4 years ago) and it doesn't bear thinking about what might have been the consequences if the brave pilot had not managed to avoid it and the crowded housing estate.



6 comments:

Jane said...

I see this on the news. I can't imagine the horror of having a plane crash into my house...Those poor people on board the plane.

BobbyG said...

I saw this on CNN yesterday and thought immediately of you...wondered how close it was to you. The one report said the pilot first tried to land in a soccer field or something, but there were lots of people on the ground, so he tried to take other actions. So sad.

Eliza said...

Saw this on the news too.You have to admire the pilot for doind all he could to avoid the houses.Just such a shame.Living close to a small airport where Cessna's fly regularly it makes you more aware of just how easily things can go wrong.

JoJo said...

WA is known for it's history of flight, so this stuff happens from time to time here as well; the pilots always make a valiant effort to avoid tragedy on the ground, even if it means the loss of their own lives.

Just another reason I don't like to fly. I'll get on a swaying suspension bridge above a river gorge, but flying scares the hell outta me.

SnarkAngel said...

Heard about this on the news and gulped, wondering how close you were to this. And I wondered if anyone on the ground was injured ... the crappy report I got from CNN or MSNBC or FOX News ... whatever the hell I was watching ... didn't give that info. Such a horrible tragedy ... but yes, it could have been much worse...

Anonymous said...

Fortunately, the people who own the house were on holiday....Reminded me of the Kegworth aircrash, where the pilot managed to avoid the busy M1 motorway, and was SO close to actually being able to land, but didn't quite make it.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake