View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Friday, August 17, 2007

Not again!

Some of you may remember just over a month ago when I was stuck in a traffic jam for nearly 4 hours. Well, thanks to the total incompetence of the police, I just had a scaled down repeat performance.

I was on the way to my friend Julie's house (she of the Bengal cats whose appearance at a cat show was where I was returning from last time) and she was going to take me to my friend Susanna's house (which is where I had spent the rest of the cat show day). The route suddenly ground to a halt and we were directed left at a roundabout because the road ahead was closed. I took the same alternative route as the other drivers, stuck in the same jam caused by the extra traffic volume. Just before we reached the road we would have been on before the road block, we were diverted - back to the original roundabout where we'd started! I calculated an alternative again which involved starting off in the wrong direction, got held up by a car being recovered from an accident, and eventually made it by an extremely circuitous route to Julie's. No more problems on the outward journey, though we arrived 40 minutes late at Susanna's.

On the way home, I went into Julie's to see her Bengals and her bunnies (and use her loo just in case...) then set off for home, confident that it would take about 20 minutes, as the crash (so I thought) of the morning would now have cleared. WRONG! The road was even more blocked off, but in the other direction. So why was it taking so long to get along the road (one hour, should have taken 5 minutes or so)? Well, at the end of the road - the original roundabout - there was very little traffic going anywhere, but what there was all seemed to have priority over ours, and we could only creep out a vehicle at a time. And where were the police? Were thay trying to direct the traffic so that the horrendous tailback could be reduced? Of course not. They put up their road closed signs and buggered off home.

Aren't our police wonderful?

By the way, the road closure was caused by a burst water main, so there will be nightmares on the road for days (weeks?) to come.

6 comments:

SnarkAngel said...

Sounds like you need a D'Onofrio Cocktail. A BIG one! LOL! So sorry to hear of your bad day on the road. Chicago traffic can be just as exasperating. And Chicago police . . . well, let's just say that, as a group, they're not the sharpest knives in the drawer . . . nor are they the least bit friendly or hospitable. Just rude, fat, ugly, stupid, and . . . oh yeah . . . lazy as hell . . . I much prefer the police in NYC . . .

JoJo said...

Wow, and I thought we had it bad in Western WA. Meanwhile you've spent a small fortune in petrol too.

As we say over here, if you wanna find a cop, go to a donut shop.

ann said...

now why am I not surprised?

oh yeah, 'cos I live here too!

Anonymous said...

I have this theory that the whole UK police/road traffic system operates on the basis of 'If you can bugger it up and stop the traffic, please do'. It's like they have NO interest in keeping people moving, only in making things as difficult and SLOW as possible.
Anyway, today I have to pay my road tax, which, as far as I'm concerned, is akin to taking £140 in my hand and setting fire to it, for all the good it does!
Hope you watched lots of soothing Vincent when you got home val.

val said...

It's even worse than traffic chaos in Lewisham - the police actually stayed in their huge regional headquarters - half a mile from my house - and watched a guy get stabbed to death in a fight on CCTV, rather than come out and stop the affray. I can't help feeling they are worse than the cirminals.

SnarkAngel said...

Why can't ALL police be like our beloved Goren and Eames?!?!?!?!? Is that REALLY too much to ask for? LOL

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake