View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Thursday, July 19, 2007

Gravesend and Pocahontas

Although Blackheath (see previous post) was not a plague gravesite in the 14th century, Gravesend is so called because it was the farthest the boats removing bodies from London during the Great Plague of 1666 went with their cargo.

It's also where Pocahontas died in 1617 just after setting sail from London to return to Virginia. She is buried in St George's Churchyard there, and this romanticised statue to her has been erected.


5 comments:

Claire said...

Next time I go to Virginia, I'm going to make a point to visit Jamestown. The whole story of Pocahontas is fascinating.

JoJo said...

If I knew this about Pocahontas, I must've forgotten b/c I assumed she died and was buried here.

Jane said...

Seems strange that she died over there. But at the time we were still part of the British Empire.

Axe said...

Oh, what I wouldn't give to be close to such deep history...and in the land of my forefathers, no less!!!

Unknown said...

...and this is another reason that i love blogs...you learn something...i did NOT know that pocahontas was buried in britain.

gravesend??? there's an area in brooklyn named gravesend, near bensonhurst. anyone we know from there??? hmmmmmmmmm?

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake