View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Monday, June 18, 2007

If it hadn't happened to me...

...I would not have believed it!

Inspired by Diane's car radio story on The Cat, I thought I might relate the story of my longest and least successful garage visit.

On the way to work one morning (it must have been in the mid-1990s) a red light came on on my car's dashboard. I drove round the corner to my little local mechanic, Harry, only to find he was on holiday. So I went to the nearest KwikFit, which back then just did tyres, clutches and batteries. They said it looke like the alternator, and they didn't do alternators.

PANIC!!

Then I remembered the garage I'd used before I found Harry. It was further away, but they were reliable, so off I drove.

They looked at the car straight away, as I needed to get to work. It was the days before mobile phones were common, and I still hadn't let the school know. They were going to let me phone from their office, but the phones were out of order!

I went down the road to the call box and phoned school, telling them I had been told it would take them about half an hour to get the part and fix the car. I went back and waited.

They'd used the phone of a neighbouring business to order my new alternator. I waited, and waited, and finally went to ask what was going on, as the allotted time had long passed. The alternator had just arrived. The road had been closed off for the air ambulance to land!!!!!!

The mechanic brought in the new part as we spoke - and a bit fell off!

These wonderful people now ferried me to school, where I spent a nervous day. They said they would bring the car to me after school had finished. It didn't arrive. I tried to phone. The phone was still out of order. I tried to fax. Ditto. Finally, 45 minutes late, the car arrived.

When the second alternatot had arrived, it had turned out to be the wrong one. Eventually they had had to go to the suppliers themselves and get the correct one.

All at no extra charge.

Given how much had gone wrong that day, I was surprised not to have an accident on the way home.

6 comments:

JoJo said...

But all in all, it does seem as though you received some good customer service.

Anonymous said...

julie...

I know it must have been horrendous for you Val. But, god, you are funny.

Claire said...

"at no extra charge", how nice of them! It could have been a whole lot worse I suppose.

abc said...

what a day! but it definitely could have been worse if they had charged extra. if that had been me and they would have asked for extra cash afterwards... probably some murder alert there. ;)
but it's weird to see how cell phones changed our life, isn't it? just think that with a mobile phone much of it wouldn't have been so awful.

Anonymous said...

So, a good outcome for us both there Val - eventually!!! I'm just convinced that, as females, we instantly become invisible once they have us in their 'clutches' -no pun intended ;0)

Eliza said...

I'm so glad I don't have a car!! Although I think you got pretty good service overall,don't think there are many garages that would go out of their way like that

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake