View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Two very different favourites

I've always loved Errol Flynn in swashbuckling mode. He seemed to be the ultimate male. Of course, now that mantle has been passed to you-know-who...

Max Miller was a rather risque comedian of the 30s, 40s and 50s. He was known for these bright, flowery plus-fours suits, and a brand of humour that was sometimes banned by the BBC (radio of course, he was not relaly of the TV era, but mostly a music hall star). My favourite joke of his (heard long after his death in 1963, when I was just 10, is this:
I was walking along a narrow mountain path, too narrow for two people to pass, and this beautiful young woman comes towards me, stark naked she was. Well I didn't know whether to block her passage ot toss meself off.

They don't write them like that any more.

5 comments:

JoJo said...

That picture brings to mind Benny Hill, who I always had an affection for.

JoJo said...

OK, that was really poor English. That should read, "...for whom I always had affection." lol

val said...

Ending a sentence with a preposition is a liberty up with which I will not put.

Max was far funnier than Benny Hill. I actually bought a cd of a live recording of one of his shows at the weekend. His suggestiveness is far funnier than Hill's vulgarity (not a fan).

Anonymous said...

Yes, the days are long gone when you could have a good belly laugh without being afraid of not being 'pc'.

ann said...

you know I don't remember Max Miller, but Lucy's (my future daughter in law) grandmother was a Benny Hill girl.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake