View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Sunday, April 15, 2007

Post 701

I missed Post 700. For 701, here's somethingcompletely different (no, not Monty Python)

I've been a fan of Edna Everage since the 1970s, when she first appeared as Auntie Edna in the Barry Mackenzie films. Barry Humphries, who breathes life into Edna, wrote the Barry Mackenzie cartoon strip for the satirical magazine Private Eye.

The Dame Edna Treatment is her latest chat show over here, and last night she had on the stars of Little Britain, David Walliams and Matt Lucas. I don't know if this programme has travelled aborad, but certainly the early episodes were very funny. Lucas recently celebrated his civil partnership with his gay partner. Walliams swam the English Channel for charity.


Next on was Debbie Harry. She sang a duet with Edna. Ouch! Actually, Blondie looked less of a mover than Edna, and I wondered if she is suffering from arthritis.


Finally there was a public health information film featuring Humphries' other awful character, Sir Les Patterson. His stooge was former French footballer David Ginola, once famous for doing shampoo ads on TV. The topic was prostate examination, and Sir Les performed a rectal on a dummy. Then he wanted Ginola to do the same, but not on his dummy - he pulled back a curtain to reveal a VERY hairy behind, which I fear was real! Ginola refused. Thank God!


I did hear, probably back in the 70s, that Humphries went round a very posh street in London, back in the days when there were rubbish bins attached to most lampposts, and seeded them with various items. Then he returned as a tramp, rummaged through the bins, pulled out a complete chicken wrapped in foil and a bottle of champagne, and sat down on the kerb to have a feast.

5 comments:

ann said...

Dame Edna has me in stitches, but Les Patterson has me squirming... eeeeek!

Anonymous said...

julie...

haven't heard of Edna before. and, what a difference in the last two pictures. Les is positively hideous.

Anonymous said...

Somewhere in my stack of video tape, I have a clip of Edna with Mel Gibson (before he became an asshole), reducing him to tears of laughter by saying 'Now Mel, we've all seen your Hamlet....'
Happy anniversary Val, here's to the next 700!

Eliza said...

Happy 700th Anniversary,Val!!!

While I love Edna,Sir Les tends to leave me feeling ever so slightly sick :-)

val said...

He makes me feel very sick, Eliza, but I also feel compelled to watch him.

At least he doesn't dribble all the time now.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake