View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Sunday, October 15, 2006

Protecting your computer


I used to have Norton Anti-Virus on my computer, but when it needed renewing the renewal didn't "take", and I kept getting notices that it had run out, even though I had paid a substantial sum for it. After many ignored emails, eventually Norton refunded my money, and I bought McAfee instead.

When a virus knocked out my direct link to my main email service last year, the store recommended that I install a spyware programme, and they put Webroot SpySweeper on it for me.

I just had a renewal reminder, and renewed online, requesting and paying for a backup cd. I hoped this would take care of any problem like the one I had with Norton.

The cd arrived, and the renewal duly failed to be acknowledged online, with a message that my subscription runs out in (now) 11 days. So I tried to update it using the cd - and I get a message that it's an older version than the one I already have installed!

Looking back at Webroot's newsletters, I see that there is a place where they invite you to send them your spyware horror story. I don't think they expected one about themselves, but that's what they've got. I'll let you know if they cure the problem, refund me, or fail on both counts. Then you can make your own decisions about whether it's worth your while to use this company to protect your computers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't know if it's any help, Val, but AVG from Grisoft is very good as an antivirus, and free. Avast gets good reviews too.

As for spyware, I use Spybot which again is free and seems to do the business OK on my PC.

I haven't got website addresses for either of these to hand, but a Google search should turn them up.

Eliza said...

Val,

I'l be interested to see how you get on.I have Norton at the moment but it cmes up for renewal soon.Let me know?/

Eliza xxxxx

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake