View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Thrilled!

Never before have the originals of these two paintings hung in the same gallery. On the left is the National Gallery, London's version of Leonardo Da Vinci's painting of The Virgin of the Rocks; on the left is the earlier version, that usually hangs in the Louvre. Some say the London one is not by Leonardo, others, that there is simply a stong contribution by his students.

I've seen both in their individual museums, and they fascinate me. I did a course in Italian Renaissance Studies at university, and learned quite a lot about the Masters of the 15th and 16th centuries. I even saw the Mona Lisa before they enclosed her behind glass. Even further back, I went to the house in France where he died, and where there was an exhibition of models made from his drawings, of things like armoured tanks and helicopters.

From today there is a Leonardo exhibition at the National Gallery that unites these paintings in one room. Sadly, they don't appear to have had the imagination to hang them side by side, but facing one another. In between there will be hundreds, even thousands, of people, because the exhibition is already well on the way to selling out.

I spent some time online yesterday trying to book tickets, but using the iPad I just kept going round in circles. As soon as I chose a day and time, it was sold out.

Today I've managed to book a ticket, but it isn't till the end of January. Not sure I can wait that long, maybe there will be a chance to pick up a return if I turn up at the door.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think there was something about this on Sky Arts channel last night (bound to be repeated!) and the paper today said you'll probably see more on the TV show than in the gallery, but I understand your 'need'!

JoJo said...

Oh yeah I remember this from the Dan Brown books. This stuff just fascinates me so much. WHY wouldn't they put the pics side by side? I mean DUH! That's so wicked awesome that you get to go..even if the end of Jan. seems like eons from now.

vikeau said...

It's just around the cornor and it appears that it will be worth the wait. Enjoy.

Music Wench said...

Lucky you! I know it seems like forever but time has a way of speeding by.

Unknown said...

stong contribution? couldn't find any other way to email you.

val said...

???

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake