View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Sunday, October 16, 2011

Shhhhh!

It's nearly a year since I took this picture of the lion family at London Zoo in the snow. Since then, the young male (bottom front) has gone to a new home in Poland. The young female, Ruby, remains with mum and dad.




Yesterday, I took a fortuitous rest on a bench next to the keepers' "talk trolley" as they were preparing to give a talk on the lions. I overheard them talking about mum lion Abi and some new cubs! The public doesn't yet know about these 6-week-old additions to the population of this endangered species. But, relentless in my pursuit of the latest animal news, and being a harmless grey-haired woman who probably doesn't know anything about technology and networking, and so not someone to worry about telling these things to, I was able to glean the information that there are two cubs, which will probably be outside within two months, and the size of their heads suggests that there is one of each.

You heard it here first!

Meanwhile, my tooth and its lanced gum infection are doing better, but despite yesterday's lovely warm, sunny weather, I spent 3 daylight hours in bed feeling grotty with a bladder infection and who knows what else. I have a theory that I either swallowed some of the infected material when the gum was lanced, or some of it entered my bloodstream via the lanced hole. Today it' still sunny and warm and I'm feeling much better, so the garden is beckoning once more.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you got your tooth looked at...I learned the hard way. I ended up in the emergency room looking like Eric Stoltz in MASK and had the attendant ask if someone punched me. My temperature was 104 which shocked me because I didn't feel feverish but was probably delirious. The doctor told me I could have died from the infection and I got it taken care of. I had lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks because I couldn't open my mouth. Word to the wise...seek help immediately!

Music Wench said...

Happy to hear your tooth is better. Sorry to hear about your bladder infection. I've heard when you have one infection or illness, others are easier to come by as your immune system is already compromised. Hope everything mends well.

Absolutely love cats of all sizes. Thanks for sharing photos and the insider info on the new babies. :-)

Jane said...

Just take it easy Val...Don't do too much!

Ruby said...

Poor, poor Val! You just can't catch a break these days! I hope you feel better (everywhere) very soon! And they named the lion cub Ruby!! Cool!!!

mauigirl said...

Ohmygosh Val, you are going through a crappy time! I'm sending positive energies your way for a speedy recovery. I will even do a dance on your behalf to the moon tonight, at midnight. ;)

Sandy said...

As much as I hate toothaches, I think I hate bladder infections even more, although bladder infections are very rare for me. Neither one is fun. Feel better soon!!

vikeau said...

Oh my you are having a tough time. Take some advice from that lemur and relax. Stress takes problems and makes them worse. Stay strong.

Eliza said...

I'm glad you're feeling better today, but sorry you felt so bad yesterday..I do think once you have one infection you tend to get others, something to do with fighting off one leaves space for another one..or something :-)

Thank You for the update on the lions..I shall look forward to the pictures of the new cubs when you get them, cos I know you will :-D

JoJo said...

Great news on the new cubs (the secret's safe with me! lol), but so sorry you got sick! :( I hope you are feeling better soon! Drink lots of cranberry juice.

bobbybegood1 said...

Glad you are feeling somewhat better. Wonderful pic of the big cats. Cheers!!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake