View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Friday, January 29, 2010

Swanning Around

Since our local stretch of river was landscaped, we have had a up to 30 ducks at a time gracing the waters, along with a heron or two (or given that one is definitely a youngster, or three).

Today, as I was throwing bread to some of the ducks by one bridge, another group was bunched around a large greyish bundle close to the other bridge a couple of hundred yards away. I thought it was one of the herons hunched up in one of the shallows, and I was quite concerned. Then it started to move, and my chin dropped. It was a young swan!








So, provided it manages to locate a mate, sometime in the next couple of years, we'll have cygnets along with the ducklings.
I can't stop smiling.

12 comments:

judith said...

Oh. Val how lovely.keeps us updated on this.x

Anonymous said...

We have an entire flock of ducks (do ducks 'flock'?) and quite a few swans on the local canel.

jazzy said...

Aaaw childhood memories - me as a tiny girl feeding swans and ducks with stale bread on every Sunday afternoon.

JoJo said...

Beautiful!!! I love animals!!!

bobbybegood1 said...

They are just GORGEOUS!!

bobbybegood1 said...

Talk about wildlife. Where I live we have deer, coyetes, eagles, rabbits, turtles. Sam, my friend, said he even saw a bear! Our grounds are a natural preserve for Canadian Geese. Geez, sometimes it's like fanagling your way around an obstacle course just not to step on goose shit. LOL!

Anonymous said...

How beautiful, Val, great pictures as per usual. We have 3 rivers here in Pittsburgh, lots of ducks and geese, like bobbybegood1 says it's quite the obstacle course getting around as well. We also have falcons that nest in the tall buildings in the heart of the city that are protected and watched by the wildlife groups that have rigged up a real-time camera when new arrivals were born.

Eliza said...

Not a big fan of swans, not since one tried to eat me as well as the bread I had when I was about 3..but I have to admit they are beautiful.

Occasionally we have a family of swans walk up the street from the canal..lovely to look at but then can be a bit intimidating when they're all together..so big

Axe said...

That is so beautiful, Val!
Such a serene looking creature.

ann said...

great shots val --- hope it'll be able to care for itself

Unknown said...

Beautiful pics! So cute! :)

SnarkAngel said...

Brings back some wonderful childhood memories for me, too. Lovely photos, Val.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake