View My Stats

Welcome to the world of the Vincent D'Onofrio obsessed - and a bit of real life thrown in.


Friday, April 11, 2008

DO NOT BUY THIS PROGRAMME!

If you see DVDXpressDX2, by ADS Tech on sale, promising to enable you to convert your videos into DVDs on your computer, RUN LIKE HELL OUT OF THE SHOP.

It doesn't tell you system requirements on the box. When you get it home, if you hunt high and low in the accompanying booklets, you will find that it does not mention Windows Vista. When you try to install it on your computer it informs you that the driver will not download. So you go to the website, and they have links (two different sets) to downloads of a Vista driver. First you have to uninstall everything you just spent hours installing.

The download does not to seem to actually appear anywhere on the system after downloading. Nor does it tell you anywhere whether you now install again from the disc. But I tried to anyway, only to discover that I HAVE NO DVD DRIVER ON MY COMPUTER ANY MORE!

Twenty-one hours ago I tried to restore my system from a backup within the computer (can't do it from the backup discs because I DON'T HAVE A DVD DRIVER). Kevin at Sales Support recommends contacting Technical Support. I wonder if he's ever tried to find a way to contact a human being on there? FAQs just led me back to the downloads that wreked it all in the first place.

System Restore is still apparently running, though the screen has been blank since about 10 minutes in. But don't interrupt the restoration, it said.

How long, I wonder, before I weaken and pull the battery to switch the blighter off? And what will I find when I try to switch it back on again?

Sorry, Diane, I didn't mean to trump your techno-woes story, but at least I know you understand my pain and frustration.

Thank goodness for my old machine.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no, that sounds to horrible! If that had happened to me I would have to be shot with a tranquilizer gun.

Jane said...

Me too beatlelady!

I'm sorry Val.

BobbyG said...

What a nightmare, Val. I've suffered some computer challenges lately, but nothing on that order. Hope your system is restored properly soon.

JoJo said...

Val, how you managed to have patience to do any of that is beyond me. I would have tossed the whole machine out of the window. I hope that this program didn't permanently screw up your computer. Stupid piece of crap.

JoJo said...

Val, how you managed to have patience to do any of that is beyond me. I would have tossed the whole machine out of the window. I hope that this program didn't permanently screw up your computer. Stupid piece of crap.

JoJo said...

oops....sorry for double post.

SnarkAngel said...

What a nightmare. I know this is the LAST thing you need right now. And thanks for the warning regarding this particular piece of crap.

Anonymous said...

this post sounded like it was written in gobbledegook; not a language I understand.

my computer is being naughty at the moment. I only know how to do one thing to fix it; call my little IT man Graham and leave it all to him

he's coming monday... hoooooray

good luck with all your problems val

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty impressive..er...'trump' there Val, although my new Norton 360 security thingy promised me it had backed up my files, then promptly bastardised something I'd been working on for a couple of months to the point I couldn't open it anymore. 'Ah' I think after recovering from my slight heart attack 'It's backed up my files - it SAYS so'. Well, actually, it was telling lies. After communing with some unpronouncably named person at Norton by email, it seems they can't get it back for me. Technology, don't ya just love it?!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Starsign - Aries Chinese Year - Snake